      From: Mitch Cohen <redbeerd@...>
      Subject: RE: [SFVS] Greens Restaurant / cheese & eggs & pet food
      To: sfveg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 1:18 PM

      Adrian: factory farms pollute the sea & waterways, in addition to harming animals. do you at least seek out non-factory-farmed animal products, and support the better farmers who care about these things?

      btw: the same point can be made to guardians of companion animals.

      my $.02

      To: SFVeg@yahoogroups.com
      From: phil@...
      Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:14:00 -0700
      Subject: Re: [SFVS] Greens Restaurant

      are you going to give these things up or just postulating? curious.

      phil

      On Aug 31, 2010, at 8:23 AM, Adrian Maestas wrote:

      I was vegan for a few years back in the mid 90's, but I like cheese and puff pastry.
      I know the animals are treated badly, but there are so many things in the world I will give up first before cheese. Like driving. And using paper products. patronizing companies that dump waste into the sea and freshwater rivers. Stuff like that.

      I'll give all that up before cheese. And pastries. that egg replacer stuff doesn't make the patsry puff up enough. I've tried all the egg substitutes for baking, and it just is not the same. creamers and the like are easy to replace now with a soy based one, but until they figure out how to make a souffle without eggs.....

      My $.02

      From: gsmith59@...
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:52:05 -0700

      It is for these reasons you state that I have never been there in the first
      place.

      I don't want to support a restaurant which glorifies the consumption of animal
      products as necessary for a good meal, be they from abused or from dead
      animals.

      When I transitioned from omnivore to a vegan diet the first thing I quit was
      dairy, and the second thing I quit was eggs. Only then did I say "what the
      heck" and went all the way to vegan.

      What might have made some sense 150 years ago in the days of small time Farmer
      MacDonald makes no ethical sense in the current era of cruel, mechanistic
      agribusiness.

      Greg