      From: Mitch Cohen <redbeerd@...>
      Subject: RE: [SFVS] Greens Restaurant / step-by-step
      To: sfveg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 9:25 AM

      piano-teaching is a bad comparison

      if you want to help as many animals as possible, one must reach omnivores who are turned off by the vegans who preach "nothing other than 100%-plant-based matters". if a vegan doesn't want to make that point (that "some" animal-eating is ok), then quietly allow others to make the point; and stand ready to educate people further after they've become open to change.

      once people are willing to open themselves to making very EXPENSIVE changes (yes, grass-fed costs much more than subsidized factory-farmed), they'll be open to hearing about more changes, such as:
      - tell government to end subsidies & water-giveaways to factory farming (that'll be a MAJOR deterence to meat-eaters!!)
      - increase the proportion of vegetables in your diet, since they are much more affordable, healthy & eco-friendly than meat
      - turn to broccoli & collards for calcium, rather than milk
      - eat more grains, nuts & beans for protein, rather than eggs & meat
      - keep increasing the proportion of plant-based foods in your diet: above 80%, 90%, 95%, 98%, 99%, ...

      To: SFVeg@yahoogroups.com
      From: wordybirdy05-home@...
      Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:11:06 -0700
      Subject: Re: [SFVS] Greens Restaurant

      i understand the "step by step" approach of weaning people off first from factory farming then to veganism. that is good if you want to learn to play the piano.

      However, meat eating in my book is considered a crime against other beings. so asking people to eat only free range meat to start with is a bit like asking a pedophile/ rapist to only rape women (leave the kids alone), then eventually wean off raping women.

      does that make sense?

      to me no.

      stop killing means stop killing. dairy/eggs is part of the killing chain. so they are implicated too.

      i stopped going to Greens years ago because i could hardly find anything on the menu for me (a vegan). and the smell of stinking cheese made it an unpleasant experience for me.

      there are others such as Loving Hut, Cafe Gratitude, Herbivore, and many other truly compassionate eateries worth of our dollars.

      in peace,
      nancy