410Re: [SFVeg] Can we just have this list be for vegetarian issues?

  • Thea Langsam
    Aug 20 10:15 AM
      Hello all,
      I agree that it is important that there be an e-mail exchange where people can discuss political issues related to animal rights, such as the use of violence as part of activism. But I also believe that it is important that there be an e-mail exchange for people who do not want to take part in these discussions but do want to learn about / post veg events, such as dinners out, World Vegetarian Day, Peaceable Kingdom, etc. I am relatively new to the San Francisco Vegetarian Society, but my understanding (I may be wrong) is that this group / e-mail list has traditionally been more of the latter, less political type. If that is the case, and because we have now learned about bitebackvegan@yahoogroups.com, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if we discontinued the more intense political discussions here and moved them to biteback. I'm not sure whether the SFVeg rules require this -- although to me, some of the e-mails have gone beyond "friendly" (e-mails often sound different than we
      mean them, I know) -- but whether the political discussions are technically allowed here, I think it would be useful for the vegetarian / animal rights community to ensure that both forums are available. Perhaps every few months, someone could post an e-mail here just letting folks on SFVeg know that there is the biteback option for people who want that type of discussion as well.
      Sincerely,
      Thea

      Matthew G Liebman <mliebman@...> wrote:
      According to the email I received when I joined this group, the SFVeg
      guidelines do not limit discussion to just group events or vegetarianism.
      They "encourage friendly discussions... pertaining to... animal rights."
      The issue of nonviolent direct action certainly fits within that rubric. I
      don't think anyone has been unfriendly or abrassive in their defense of
      their beliefs.

      The society also "promote[s] mutual respect to other peoples' ideas." While
      you are more than welcome to passionately disagree with direct action, I
      find it disrespectful to want to silence discourse and debate regarding
      animal rights strategies, simply because you find them unpalatable.

      If you are simply frustrated with the VOLUME of emails (which is certainly
      understandable), you can always change your settings in Yahoo Groups to
      recieve a daily digest. You will receive 1 email per day containing all of
      that day's posts. You won't lose out on any info, but will be able to skim
      or skip the discussions you don't care for.

      Below is the partial text of the "welcome" email for the SFVeg group. If I
      have misinterpreted it, perhaps the moderators might correct me.

      -Matthew

      "This yahoo group is a way to connect the friends, supporters and members
      of SFVS to the vegetarian community and to those interested on vegetarian
      issues and related causes.

      You can personalize this yahoo group to suit your personal requirements not
      to send or send you emails, or simply send you daily digest on your set
      frequency.

      As with any other yahoo group, we promote mutual respect to other peoples'
      ideas and choices. We encourage friendly discussions and information
      sharing on issues pertaining to diet, health, animal rights, spirituality,
      etc. We believe that our memberships are mature and professional. We do
      not allow the use of inappropriate language and these should be reported to
      the Moderator.

      You can post announcements, important news or research affecting the
      community, or personal concerns relevant to the group's focus."