13367Good news for Oakland's animals. Guess the Dog-In protest & emails/calls worked!

  • Judith Gottesman
    Jun 18, 2014

      Thank you for sharing your concern for Oakland’s animals with our office. We share your frustration that for too long the City has failed to adequately fund needed staff to keep our Oakland Animal Shelter (OAS) functioning adequately…and that is why our office has worked with the outstanding shelter volunteers for two years to make needed improvements.

      Last night we celebrated a big success by passing a motion that will make OAS a better organization! I am pleased that Councilmembers Gallo and Kaplan joined with me in supporting the following motions that passed unanimously:

      •             The shelter will split-off from the Police Department and begin to operate as an independent agency with more staffing.

      •             We will have an interim oversight committee, and this committee will design the legislation for a permanent citizen oversight committee.

      •             The shelter will have two new managers or supervisors to oversee the shelter and the animal rescue operations – these positions will require experience with professional animal care and welfare. The City will also provide more veterinarians funding.

      I am also pleased that officers currently assigned to shelter duties will be freed up for much-needed patrol work. As soon as we hire a permanent director, we will begin to focus more on proactive outreach, animal intake, and ultimately providing better care and welfare for all of Oakland’s beautiful animals.

      -Bruce Stoffmacher (on behalf of Councilmember Libby Schaaf)

      Bruce Stoffmacher

      Community Liaison / Policy Analyst

      Office of Councilmember Libby Schaaf,

      City of Oakland - District 4

      o: (510) 238-7041

      f:  (510) 238-6129

      bstoffmacher@...

      To subscribe to our newsletter, click: here!

      Safety Tips:

      Safety Tips: http://www.safeoakland.com/safety-tips

      D4 Crime Data: http://www.safeoakland.com/get-informed/crime-analysis

      Cameras: http://safeoakland.com/safety-tips/security-cameras

      --
      Judith Gottesman, MSW
      Matchmaker and Dating Coach

      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic