      From: Carla Din [mailto:dindelion1@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:18 PM
      To: sunny_outdoors; sfveg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SFVeg] Biodiesel Press Event in SF Thursday at Noon Civic
      Center Plaza

      Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but biodiesel is not necessarily
      vegetarian, as another source used is animal fat, such as chicken fat, beef
      tallow and "rendered" animal products. So, what you smell coming out of the
      tailpipe may be more than just french fries...

      Here's an article about how biodiesel from animal fats "perform":
      http://www.rendermagazine.com/February2006/AnimalFatsPerformWell.pdf

      and another, which states, "If grease from rendered animal carcasses is
      banned from feed, biodiesel production might become the best opportunity for
      disposing of this important product of the animal rendering industry."
      http://www.me.iastate.edu/biodiesel/Pages/biodiesel26.html

      If you go with biodiesel, I would check with the distributor to find out
      what resources were used in the making of the fuel. Right now, we're
      relying a lot on midwestern soy but hopefully there will soon be an industry
      in the Central Valley for oil seed crops, such as mustard and sunflower.

      Carla

      sunny_outdoors <sunny_outdoors@...> wrote:

      Biodiesel is a fuel made with vegetables.
      Just want everyone to know the person in charge of making sure the
      fuels is clean is a vegan call Ben Jordan. He was featured in the
      Chronicle just last year. photo coming soon

      Maybe VegNews might want to write about this exciting event.

      I have a "go veggie" (with a picture of a gas pump) in the back of my
      biodiesel car!

      Many meateaters with biodiesel cars have the sticker ON THEIR BUMPER
      STICKERS TOO!! They are indirectly promoting vegetarism.

      --- In sf_biofuels@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Bowen" <ericbowen@...>
      wrote:

      Hello fellow biodiesel enthusiasts,

      As you may have heard, there is going to be a big press conference on
      SF
      municipal use of biodiesel at Civic Center Plaza on Thursday, May
      18th at
      noon. At the press conference, the Mayor will issue an Executive
      Directive
      designed to increase the pace of municipal use of biodiesel, the Fire
      Chief
      will be announcing their B20 pilot program, Supervisor McGoldrick
      will be
      announcing the SF Biodiesel Taskforce and several other City agencies,
      including the Zoo (which is running its ZooMobile on B100 thanks to
      the good
      work of SF Biofuels member and zoo keeper Anthony Brown), will be
      announcing
      their biodiesel programs.

      This is a very exciting time for biodiesel in SF and I encourage
      anyone
      interested to attend. If someone could please forward this email to
      the
      other local biodiesel lists, it would be greatly appreciated.
      Unfortunately,
      I do not know how to post to those lists.

      Hope to see many of you on Thursday.

      Eric

      Eric M. Bowen
      President
      San Francisco Biofuels Cooperative
      Phone: (415) 218-3766
      Email: ericbowen@...
      Web: www.sfbiofuels.org
      Blog: www.allthingsbiodiesel.org

      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi
      5/15/2006

      --- End forwarded message ---

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS