Two free Sci-Fi movie screenings this coming weekend

  • Gerry Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2012
      Hi, All:

      Two free Sci-Fi movie screenings this coming weekend:

      __________

      The Mars Society-San Diego's Mars Movie Night
      Friday, November 16, 2012
      7:00pm

      QUANTUM APOCALYPSE
      (USA, 2010) 95 minutes

      "When a comet unexpectedly changes paths and collides with Mars, kicking
      up a storm of debris, a team of government scientists looks to two oddball
      physicists to investigate an even bigger threat: the force that caused the
      comet to veer off track. In their battle to save Earth, the two geniuses get
      help from an unlikely source: a small-town mayor's autistic brother."

      Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNVV5n0N_hU

      We¹ll also screen Episode #16 of the COWBOY BEBOP anime series: ³Black Dog
      Serenade² (Japan, 1998):

      "An ISSP prison ship has undergone a mechanical malfunction, and has
      been taken over by the prisoners it was transporting, led by Udai Taxim, the
      Syndicate assassin who took Jet's arm. Jet's former partner, Fad, enlists
      him for the retrieval operation, but Fad's motivations might not be as noble
      as they seem."

      Showtime is 7:00pm at Studio 106 in the Art Union Building at 2323 Broadway
      92102 (the Golden Hill area just east of downtown San Diego). Admission is
      FREE, and popcorn is provided (you can bring snacks or drinks to share).

      Please RSVP to FILMIST <at> MAC.COM as seating is limited.

      For more information, visit:

      http://marsmovieguide.com/#MARS%20MOVIE%20NIGHTS

      __________

      San Diego Vintage Sci-Fi
      Saturday, November 17, 2012
       7:00PM - 11:00PM (approx)

      20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
      (USA, 1954) 127 minutes

          "The oceans during the late 1860-90s are no longer safe; many ships have
      been lost. Sailors have returned to port with stories of a vicious narwhal
      (a giant whale with a long horn) which sinks their ships. A naturalist,
      Professor Pierre Aronnax, his assistant, Conseil, and a professional whaler,
      Ned Land, join an US expedition which attempts to unravel the mystery."

      Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhyuey4xU3Q

      Also Showing:

      Georges Méliès production of
      LE VOYAGE DANS LA LUNE (A Trip to the Moon)
      (France, 1902) 14 minutes

      "A group of scientists travel to the moon by being shot in a capsule
      from a giant cannon. They are captured by moon-men, escape, and return to
      the earth."

      Showtime is 7:00pm at a new location:
      Brittany Room <http://www.towncountry.com/flash/floorplans.html>
      (middle of hotel in far right/east building, second room from top)
      Town and Country Resort & Conference Center
      500 Hotel Circle North € San Diego, CA 92108
      Map & Directions:
      <http://www.towncountry.com/map-directions/index.cfm>
      Parking at Hotel for this event is $2.00, or free parking at the
      Fashion Valley Transit Center to the north across the bridge.
      Admission is FREE, and popcorn is provided (you can bring snacks or drinks
      to share).

      Please RSVP to FILMIST <at> MAC.COM as seating is limited.

      For more information, visit: http://sdvsf.org/

      _____

      :-J

      Gerry Williams
      Director/Director of Photography
      Film - Video - Photography
      Studio 106 - The Art Union Building
      2323 Broadway - San Diego, CA 92102
      619.RAD.FILM   (619.723.3456)
      http://www.filmist.com/
      __
      "Living on Earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun."

    • Gerry Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2013
        Hi, All:

        Friday, January 18, 2013
        7:00pm

        MURDER IN SPACE
        (Canada/USA, 1985) 95 minutes

        "The crew of an international space mission are on the return leg from
        Mars to Earth when an explosion occurs on the craft Conestoga, shortly after
        the murders start. The crew of the returning craft are forbidden to return
        until the murderer is caught."

        Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZ438EGidM

        We¹ll also screen Episode #1 of the series:

        ³PIONEER ONE: EARTHFALL²
        (USA, 2010):

        "An object from space spreads radiation over North America. Fearing
        terrorism, U.S. Homeland Security agents are dispatched to investigate and
        contain the damage. What they discover is a forgotten relic of the old
        Soviet space program, whose return to Earth will have implications for the
        entire world."

        Saturday, January 19, 2013
         7:00PM - 11:00PM (approx)

        THE AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN
        (USA, 1960) 57 minutes

            "Paul Krenner, an ex-major with delusions of grandeur, has forced
        scientist Peter Ulof to develop a radiation-based technique to turn men
        invisible, with which process he plans to create an invisible army to sell
        to the highest bidder. He busts safecracker Joey Faust out of prison and
        forces him to undergo the invisibility treatment so he can steal more radium
        to further the experimentation. Plans go awry when Faust discovers there is
        a side-effect to the invisibility treatments he didn't count on."

        Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhyuey4xU3Q

        Also Showing:

        DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE
        (USA, 1912) 15 minutes

        "Dr. Jekyll has secretly locked himself in his laboratory administering
        himself with a phial of formula. He slumps into his chair with his head on
        his chest. Slowly, as the drug takes effect, a dark-haired, taloned beast
        now appears in the chair. After repeated use, Jekyll's evil alter ego
        emerges at will, causing Jekyll to murder his sweetheart's father."

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2013
          Hi, All:

          Friday, February 15, 2013
          7:00pm

          MARS MOVIE NIGHT: MARS ON TV (1959/1961/2009)

          LASSIE: TIMMY AND THE MARTIANS
          (Season 6 Episode 13, 25 minutes)
          "When Timmy sees a meteorite fall on the Martins' property, he's sure it
          was a spaceship from another planet - and that a man from Mars is wandering
          around the farm. Funny thing is: food keeps disappearing from the Martin
          house!"

          LASSIE: THE MAN FROM MARS
          (Season 7 Episode 36, 25 minutes)
          "Timmy thinks he may have spied a spaceship, so he and his talented
          collie go off to investigate the landing site in "Man from Mars." His
          parents laugh at the notion of wee visitors from outer space, but Timmy and
          Lassie might know better."

          LIFE ON MARS: LIFE IS A ROCK
          (Season 1 Episode 17, 42 minutes)
          "A present-day car accident mysteriously sends a detective back to the
          1970s. At the end of the series it is revealed that Tyler's 2008 and 1973
          realities were both fictitious, created by the onboard computer of a
          spacecraft that is carrying the crew on the first ever manned mission to the
          planet Mars in 2035."

          We¹ll also screen Episode #2 of the series:

          ³PIONEER ONE: THE MAN FROM MARS²
          (USA, 2010):

          "Hired Mars expert Dr. Zachary Walzer fights to prove the validity of
          the Mars story. Can he convince the government to mount a manned mission to
          Mars? Agent in charge Tom Taylor faces pressure from both the Canadians and
          his own superiors, and has to make a call."

          Saturday, February 16, 2013
           7:00PM - 11:00PM (approx)

          DESTINATION MOON
          (USA, 1950) 92 minutes

              "After their their latest rocket fails, Dr. Charles Cargraves and
          retired General Thayer have to start over again. this time, Gen. Thayer
          approaches Jim Barnes, the head of his own aviation construction firms to
          help build a rocket that will take them to the moon. Together they gather
          the captains of industry and all pledge to support the goals of having the
          United States be the first to put a man on the moon. They build their rocket
          and successfully leave the Earth's gravitational pull and make the landing
          as scheduled."

          Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBEfpVkwWS4

          Also Showing:

          THE ECLIPSE: COURTSHIP OF THE SUN AND MOON
          (L'éclipse du soleil en pleine lune -- A film by Georges Méliès)
          (France, 1907) 9 minutes

          "An astronomer of age, wealth, and erudition conducts classes in his
          home. His students are not always respectful, and he suffers their pranks
          and high jinks. Then, at noon, everything darkens and the astronomer hurries
          upstairs to his telescope. It is an eclipse of the sun, and through his
          glass, he sees a female moon coming toward a masculine sun, flirting as they
          move closer to what becomes a consummation. The heavens erupt with showers
          of stars that become women."