203"CONTACT" SCREENING AND DISCUSSION WITH SETI INSTITUTE TRUSTEE JILL TARTER AND AUTHOR DAVID BRIN

  • Gerry Williams
    Apr 19, 2014
      "CONTACT" SCREENING AND DISCUSSION WITH SETI INSTITUTE TRUSTEE JILL TARTER
      AND AUTHOR DAVID BRIN

      May 8th, Atkinson Hall Auditorium

      The Arthur C. Clarke Center for Human Imagination presents "Contact" (1997),
      adapted by Carl Sagan from his original novel and directed by Robert
      Zemeckis. Starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey, the film follows
      Dr. Ellie Arroway in her attempt to make first contact with extra
      terrestrial intelligence.

      Join us for a screening of the film followed by a discussion with SETI
      (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) Institute Trustee Jill Tarter,
      and award-winning science fiction author David Brin.

      Screening in Atkinson Hall Auditorium, first floor of Atkinson Hall on May
      8th. Doors open at 5:40PM. Screening begins at 6:00PM. The event is free and
      open to the public. Please RSVP for admission at
      contact-imagination.eventbrite.com.

      For information, contact: info@...

      http://imagination.ucsd.edu/news/contact-screening-and-discussion-with-seti-
      institute-trustee-jill-tarter-and-author-david-brin/
      or
      http://bit.ly/1r7GsEI

      ====================

      13th Annual James R. Arnold Lecture:

      The Search for ET: An Investment in Our Long Future

      Friday, May 9, 2014 from 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM (PDT)
      UCSD Campus, La Jolla, CA
      FREE

      The Search for ET: An Investment in Our Long Future

      Dr. Jill Tarter
      Bernard M. Oliver Chair for SETI
      SETI Institute
      Mountain View CA 94043

      The story of humanity began billions of years ago; you are intimately
      connected to the cosmos that made you. The only near term method of
      discovering whether we Earthlings can outgrow our technological adolescence
      and enjoy a long future is to determine the average longevity of
      technological civilizations in the Milky Way Galaxy. Today, we do not know
      whether there are any other technological civilizations; we could be unique.
      In physics we count 1,2, ƒ; when only one example of a phenomenon is known,
      it could be singular, but as soon as a second example is found, we know
      there are many. N=2 is the important number for SETI. There are many
      indicators and futurists that suggest this could well be our last century as
      a technological civilization, but the successful detection of evidence of
      another technological civilization would mean that someone else has survived
      into old age, and therefore could provide abundant motivation for us to do
      so ourselves.

      For more information and registration please visit

      https://jimarnoldlecture2014.eventbrite.com