194Two free Sci-Fi movie screenings this month

  • Gerry Williams
    Oct 17, 2013
      Hi, All:

      Two free Sci-Fi movie screenings this month:

      __________
      __________

      The Mars Society-San Diego's Mars Movie Night
      Friday, October 25th, 2013
      7:00pm

      MARS MOVIE NIGHT: A FESTIVAL OF SHORT MARS FILMS (1910-2013)

      "We're pleased to present a festival of short Mars films, including the
      very first Mars-themed film ever: Thomas Edison's film 'A Trip to Mars' from
      1910. We'll also screen animated films, live action and dramatic pieces, and
      yes, even a handful of TV commercials! Come watch over two hours of the best
      (and shortest) films of the Red Planet."

      Showtime is 7:00pm at Studio 106 in the San Diego Reader Building at 2323
      Broadway 92102 (the Golden Hill area just east of downtown San Diego).
      Admission is FREE, and popcorn is provided (you can bring snacks or drinks
      to share).

      Please RSVP to FILMIST <at> MAC.COM as seating is limited.

      For more information, visit:

      http://marsmovieguide.com/

      __________
      __________

      San Diego Vintage Sci-Fi
      Saturday, October 26th, 2013
       7:00PM - 11:00PM (approx)

      We're stretching our charter this month of screening films of those fabulous
      rubber monster suits to a contemporary documentary about the actors INSIDE
      those fabulous rubber monster suits!

      MEN IN SUITS
      (USA, 2012) 90 minutes

      "Godzilla, Predator, Robby the Robot, the Gill Man - these are some of
      the most iconic characters in cinema, but many people still don't know about
      the incredible actors who bring these creatures to life. MEN IN SUITS shines
      a long overdue light on an art that is getting lost in this age of computer
      graphics."

      Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnwHXBHAaKg

      Also Showing:

      MONSTERS FROM THE ID

      (USA, 2009) 52 minutes
      "The 1950's was an idealistic time in American History, filled with
      hope, opportunity, and wonder. It was also, "The Atomic Age" where new
      technology promised to both save humanity as well as put it in jeopardy. All
      of these factors gave birth to one of the most prolific genres in film
      history, 1950's Science Fiction Cinema. More than just bug eyed monsters and
      little green men, 1950's Sci-fi Cinema provided science inspiration for
      millions of eager youths across the country. Then after 1957 and the launch
      of Sputnik, science fiction became science fact as an inspired population
      worked toward one of the greatest achievements of mankind, spaceflight."

      Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SXRXICKFHA

      Showtime is 7:00pm at Studio 106 in the San Diego Reader Building at 2323
      Broadway 92102 (the Golden Hill area just east of downtown San Diego).
      Admission is FREE, and popcorn is provided (you can bring snacks or drinks
      to share).

      Please RSVP to FILMIST <at> MAC.COM as seating is limited.

      For more information, visit:

      http://sdvsf.org/

      _____

      :-J

      Gerry Williams
      Director/Director of Photography
      Film - Video - Photography
      Studio 106 - The Art Union Building
      2323 Broadway - San Diego, CA 92102
      619.RAD.FILM   (619.723.3456)
      http://www.filmist.com/
      __
      "Living on Earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun."