RE: [SCOPA] FW: Sunday, June 13 story on Tampa Heights in Tribune

  • Erin Budde
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2004
      I want the link to the Sunday, June 13 story on Tampa Heights in Metro
      Hi All,

      I was so happy to see a link to the Robles Park story that ran in the Tribune published on the SCOPA list serve!  I work for the Mayor's Beautification Program (MBP), a non-governmental, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization here in Tampa.  Tampa's Greenprinting Initiative is our latest project - and is a great example of Applied Anthropology and grassroots community development being applied locally to help improve inner city neighborhoods.

      Tampa Heights is the second of 10 inner-city neighborhoods that MBP is working with to use the revitalization of one of their public parks as a classroom to build neighborhood residents' capacity for community redevelopment.  Through an 18-24 month process, residents participate in and learn how to implement asset identification, needs assessment, public participation processes, planning, fundraising, collaboration and volunteer recruitment skills.  At the end of the process, the neighborhood has a high quality park (each anticipated to cost a minimum of $500,000), and a core group of neighborhood residents have a set of skills to apply to other neighborhood re-development issues they have identified, as well as the confidence that comes with a project successfully implemented.

      In Tampa Heights, MBP partnered with many USF Departments to engage professors and students in working with neighborhood residents on various aspects of the process.  Maya Harper, a Master student in the Applied Anthropology program worked under Dr Susan Greenbaum's guidance on the needs assessment and public participation components; Dr. Trent Green from the School of Architecture and Community Design (SACD) led a charette with neighborhood residents, professional park planners and SACD students for the conceptual planning phase for park improvements; undergraduate students from Dr. Janna Jones' Communications Department's service-learning class also assisted in the needs assessment and resident input processes.  Their participation greatly enhanced the development of the Greenprinting Model, which will be applied to 8 other neighborhoods in the coming year.

      I've attached a PDF copy of the document that we are using to guide our efforts - we update it annually to incorporate lessons learned along the way.  We welcome any input, advice or participation from any of you in the project.

      Thanks!

      Erin Budde
      Executive Director
      Mayor's Beautification Program