Central Park Village

  • Ronald I. Habin, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2004
      I read with dismay that the Tampa Tribune editorialized that it
      was unfortunate the federal government refused to fund the (CIVITAS)
      overhaul of CPV. Oh well, it still wasn't a failure. They had a great
      season and all of Tampa Bay is proud of them.
      Apparently, the project stirs in east Tampa. As it rises from
      the ashes, I would strongly hope that it moves forward only after
      some thought provoking anthropologically inspired client assessments.
      Bad things happen to good people who's views are not incorporated in
      these potentially radical change situations.
      Glenn, in your note to me,you suggested that Alayne was
      offering to work under her umbrella as a 501(c)3 organization so that
      others can facilitate a community needs assessment. If that is so,
      and others wish to work on the grants that have been part of recent
      SCOPA chatter, I again would be interested. I'd like to help.
      Your suggestion of another meeting in Tampa is a good one.
      What are you hearing and would other people be interested in this
      matter?

      Best,

      Ron
    • G B
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2004
        Hi Ron,
        Sorry for the delay.  I was on vacation and then have been swamped for having been on vacation.  Far as I know, Alayne's hospitality is still good and if you have some specifics identified would probably happily speak directly with you about them.  It would have been helpful if more of us could have shown up for her fund raiser a few weeks ago, but again, timing is a delicate thing.

        The East Tampa activities are not, on the face of things, related to Civitas.  As you may have read in Alvin's notes from the meeting with the University Collaborative at USF, there are some misunderstandings, or perhaps preconceived notions of social impact assessment that even the University seems to have, that appear to be distracting from the issue ( I suspect that actually there is some sort of struggle over resources within the Collaborative that I am not privy to that is the real issue, but where doesn't this happen? -- time will tell ).  Those of us who work around the County in various capacities as staff can't really take the lead on anything (for numerous reasons) but certainly can be supportive in many ways (quick access to public data, linking to contacts, etc.).  county Commissioners have been busy with their new budget issues and the Mayor is out and about attempting to fulfill her various promises as she perceives them to have been (although I think if someone could get some time with her she might be open to the idea of some form of social assessment as it could be used to link her economic and infrastructure stuff to people stuff and show progress -- or not, which could be an issue -- in regard to work the city is doing).  The bottom line is, no one is really asking for an assessment (other than us, to whom it seems merely a sensible matter, but who are seen as acting in our own self-interest as social impact assessment is creating jobs for us...).  Someone needs to ask.  Perhaps a banker?  Perhaps some business alliance that is interested in seeing how changes today would increase social and intellectual capital to a level that could attract businesses requiring a more skilled and highly educated workforce?  The pitch can take any number of angles...

        Feel free to set a date for another meeting.  At this time there is no official meeting setting person.  You could pick a date and simply set it or ask for some suggestions of dates and pick one, or you can get fancy and use the Yahoo polling  feature (speaking of which, I have not heard back from Terry Redding since telling him the group would be interested in some sort of official web page.....).

        Sorry for the long answer.

        Regards,
        Glenn

        "Ronald I. Habin, Ph.D." <RHabin@...> wrote:
[...]