FW: WAPA Praxis Award

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2013

      Praxis Award Now Accepting Submissions

      Since 1981, the Washington Association of Professional Anthropologists (WAPA) biennial Praxis Award has recognized outstanding achievement in translating anthropological knowledge into action as reflected in a single project or specific, long-term endeavor. Ideal candidates are anthropologists, particularly those working outside of academia, who can demonstrate the value of anthropological theory and methods in work that impacts the public good.  This is not a career or lifetime achievement award, but one that recognizes the value of applying anthropology to everyday problems and issues.

      Competition entries are due July 1, 2013 and should clearly demonstrate how the applicant used anthropology to effectively address a contemporary human problem. The competition for this prestigious award is open to anyone holding an MA or PhD in any subfield of anthropology. WAPA strongly encourages nominations (including self-nominations) from individuals, groups or organizations wherein at least one anthropologist worked on and influenced the designated project. Entries are open to anthropologists worldwide. All entries will be reviewed according to the same set of criteria by an expert panel of anthropological practitioners.

      Award recipients receive a $1,000 stipend and will be recognized at the National Association for the Practice of Anthropology (NAPA) business meeting, held during the annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association (AAA) in November 2013 in Chicago.

      Application information is available through the WAPA website at http://wapa.cloverpad.org/praxis. Nominations must include a cover page and a 5 to 10-page descriptive essay. Entries will be strengthened by supporting letters, public testimonials and media releases from project clients and beneficiaries (not colleagues).

      To better understand the types of achievements that merit the award, see the Praxis Award Recipients document on the WAPA website, which lists all prior winners and presents the abstracts of their competition entries.

      Winners may be asked to give a presentation for WAPA, if feasible, and to contribute a chapter to a future edition of Anthropological Practice: Translating Knowledge into Action (Robert M. Wulff and Shirley J. Fiske, Eds.).

      Applications will not be accepted after the July 1, 2013 deadline.

      For additional information, contact:

      Terry Redding

      2013 Praxis Award Committee Chair

      Email: terrymredding (at) yahoo.com