Re: FW: Anthropology and Children's Board of Hillsborough County

  • AlvinW
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2012

      Out of almost 500 USF Applied Anthropology theses and dissertations I found 50 or so that seemed to me relevant to the Children's Board of Hillsborough County CHBC.

      Most interesting, in the years 1990 -1992, are these four:

      10

      View

      Illyes, Judit

      1992

      An Anthropological Perspective on the Children's Board of Hillsborough County.

      11

      View

      Lampinen, Linda

      1991

      Children's Services Coordination Study.

      12

      View

      Martinez-Ramos, Yolanda

      1991

      Educating The Children of Migrant Workers: Agricultural Anthropological Perspective.

      13

      View

      Loeb, Bertram

      1990

      Planning for Services to Children in Hillsborough County, Florida.

      Bert Loeb's dissertation Planning for Services to Children in Hillsborough County would be very good required reading for anyone interested in the problem, including any board member, potential board member, executive director, whether permanent, interim, or applicant for the position.

      One quote from Loeb's dissertation gives an idea of the problem:

      The Children's Board . . . offered for the first time the opportunity to approach the issue [of prevention] afresh. The viewpoint of those in support of prevention has so far (1990) prevailed. In the words of its founding policy statement:

      The mission of the Children's  Board is to ensure and provide for the delivery of comprehensive children's services, with special emphasis on establishing prevention and early intervention programs to meet the needs of children and their families (Children's Board, 1989).

      Given the climatic changes, not only global ecological, but also economic and political changes, can the Children's Board maintain its emphasis on prevention and early intervention?

      --Alvin