Re: [SCOPA] I would be interested...

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
      FICS is interested, but I can't be PI on much more! my plate is full.  Let's all talk on email...we are a 501c3 and we have an established IRB

      At 11:15 AM 4/21/2004 -0400, you wrote:
             I received the information regarding proposals for the Active Living Research Program. It sounds really good.
             The grant research and my own interests correlate in the following areas; low-income and ethnic minority groups, older adults, and people with physical challenges.
             Obviously, we can examine "the impact of changes in community environments...on physical activity" from a network perspective. That sounds like a home run for us.
             I do wonder if any of the interested SCOPA members are affiliated with a tax exempt 501(c)3 as this would seem to give us an edge in receiving grant money.
             In any event, I would be interested in being a research partner if the grant money came through. Also, if you need additional assistance in filling out the grant application paper work (for scholarly support etc.), I would be pleased to participate.

                                                      Best wishes,

                                                      Ronald I. Habin, Ph.D.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      *****************************
      Alayne Unterberger, MA
      Executive Director, Florida Institute for Community Studies, Inc.
      Main contact: (813) 477-2882 (cell) or (813) 248-3427 (248.FICS) (office)
      FAX: (813) 248-3230    E-mail: alayne@...    Website: www.ficsinc.org
      Cesar Chavez:
      "It's ironic that those who till the soil, cultivate and harvest the fruits, vegetables, and other foods that fill your tables with abundance have nothing left for themselves."

    • Glenn
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
        I'm willing to help. I assisted a group in the University Area with
        this last year (the original idea was geared toward trying to reduce
        pedestrian fatalites...). Unfortunately the project never really
        got well enough defined and, although there were very relevant and
        potentially significant partners, there were was a lack of energy
        around project (only about three of the partners took initiative on
        things...anyway, lots of good intentions). I can dig up our
        submission. Let me know what you want to do.
        Glenn

        --- In SCOPA@yahoogroups.com, Alayne Unterberger <alayne@t...> wrote:
        > FICS is interested, but I can't be PI on much more! my plate is
        > full. Let's all talk on email...we are a 501c3 and we have an
        established IRB

        > At 11:15 AM 4/21/2004 -0400, you wrote:
        > > I received the information regarding proposals for the
        Active
        > > Living Research Program. It sounds really good.
        > > The grant research and my own interests correlate in the
        following
        > > areas; low-income and ethnic minority groups, older adults, and
        people
        > > with physical challenges.
        > > Obviously, we can examine "the impact of changes in
        community
        > > environments...on physical activity" from a network perspective.
        That
        > > sounds like a home run for us.
        > > I do wonder if any of the interested SCOPA members are
        affiliated
        > > with a tax exempt 501(c)3 as this would seem to give us an edge
        in
        > > receiving grant money.
        > > In any event, I would be interested in being a research
        partner if
        > > the grant money came through. Also, if you need additional
        assistance in
        > > filling out the grant application paper work (for scholarly
        support
        > > etc.), I would be pleased to participate.
        > >
        > > Best wishes,
        > >
        > > Ronald I. Habin,
        Ph.D.

      • RHabin@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2004
          Glenn,

                 Sounds from here that we will need more than the two of us to apply for the grant. How about Susan Greenbaum or Cheryl Rodriquez or other SCOPA members. Likely, neither of us have time for unrewarded good intentions. We will need the support of some nonprofit institution and people willing to get into the neighborhood to get their fingernails dirty.
                 If you could get the lay of the land over there in Tampa, I'd appreciate it. I would be available for more Ybor City meetings and I would certainly participate in the on the ground and background research. I live about an hour away from Central Park though here in SW Orlando.

                                                                 Best,

                                                                 Ron Habin
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2004
            I would suggest that you really read the RWJ RFA to figure out who should be involved.  I'll be at the CBHC today, Glenn @ our Proyecto Prevencion meeting if you want to chat briefly.
            Best

            Come to our 1st Annual Half Year Party to Benefit FICS @ Rustic Steel Creations, Channelside on MAY 15, 9PM-?

            Alayne Unterberger, MA
            Executive Director, Florida Institute for Community Studies, Inc.
            Main contact: (813) 477-2882 (cell) or (813) 248-3427 (248.FICS) (office)
            FAX: (813) 248-3230    E-mail: alayne@...    Website: www.ficsinc.org
            Cesar Chavez:
            "It's ironic that those who till the soil, cultivate and harvest the fruits, vegetables, and other foods that fill your tables with abundance have nothing left for themselves."

          • G B
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22, 2004

              Alayne,

              I have to go to the Child Abuse Council (I have a contract with them) so I will miss todays FICS meeting despite having actually gotten it onto my calendar today (I'm sorry Alayne!  I actually thought I was going to make it there this time.)  But we are Ybor neighbors and perhaps could make a more concerted effort to meet if there is serious interest in this project.

              Ron,

              Alayne's offer to work under her umbrella is pretty nice and unless I am misunderstanding her, she is simply saying she couldn't be the PI but is offering to provide the 501 (c) 3 structure to run a good community project through.  I know Susan and Cheryl both have pretty full plates (really, I had lunch with them just the other day at a soul food restaurant in the Springs and the plates were filled ...) but I sure they would also provide some support if there is a well designed project (I would guess Alvin would probably be kind enough to help in some way as well, but I'll let him speak for himself).

              It does seem that there could be some natural connection to an Active Living Grant and all this Civitas Stuff (and perhaps that is where Susan and Cheryl would have some interest -- they have some excellent relationships with some of the residents and Susan has been contacted by some of the City staff) but I am not floating in the circles of influence in regard to what is happening with that project.

              I guess we should all do a little more talking and consider meeting.  Certainly we probably should take a closer look at the RWJ RFP.

              There is my 3 cents.

              Regards,

              Glenn

              Alayne Unterberger <alayne@...> wrote:
[...]