FW: Anthropology and Children's Board of Hillsborough County

  • Wolfe, Alvin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2012

      I apologize if you receive more than one copy of this message.  I am posting it in somewhat of a rush, not so much for the message itself, but for my own schedule. –Alvin

      Alvin W. Wolfe
      Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
      Department of Anthropology
      4202 E. Fowler Avenue, SOC107
      University of South Florida
      Tampa, FL  33620-8100   813-974-0794

      Jodie TillmanTampa Bay Times In Print: Wednesday, August 22, 2012

      http://www2.tbo.com/news/news/2012/aug/22/memeto1-iorio-cuts-jobs-to-shift-more-funds-to-chi-ar-470591/

      Iorio cuts jobs to shift more funds to children

      By MIKE SALINERO | The Tampa Tribune
      Published: August 22, 2012 Updated: August 22, 2012 - 5:00 AM

      --Alvin

      Alvin W. Wolfe
      Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
      Department of Anthropology
      4202 E. Fowler Avenue, SOC107
      University of South Florida
      Tampa, FL  33620-8100   813-974-0794

    • AlvinW
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2012

        Out of almost 500 USF Applied Anthropology theses and dissertations I found 50 or so that seemed to me relevant to the Children's Board of Hillsborough County CHBC.

        Most interesting, in the years 1990 -1992, are these four:

        10

        View

        Illyes, Judit

        1992

        An Anthropological Perspective on the Children's Board of Hillsborough County.

        11

        View

        Lampinen, Linda

        1991

        Children's Services Coordination Study.

        12

        View

        Martinez-Ramos, Yolanda

        1991

        Educating The Children of Migrant Workers: Agricultural Anthropological Perspective.

        13

        View

        Loeb, Bertram

        1990

        Planning for Services to Children in Hillsborough County, Florida.

        Bert Loeb's dissertation Planning for Services to Children in Hillsborough County would be very good required reading for anyone interested in the problem, including any board member, potential board member, executive director, whether permanent, interim, or applicant for the position.

        One quote from Loeb's dissertation gives an idea of the problem:

        The Children's Board . . . offered for the first time the opportunity to approach the issue [of prevention] afresh. The viewpoint of those in support of prevention has so far (1990) prevailed. In the words of its founding policy statement:

        The mission of the Children's  Board is to ensure and provide for the delivery of comprehensive children's services, with special emphasis on establishing prevention and early intervention programs to meet the needs of children and their families (Children's Board, 1989).

        Given the climatic changes, not only global ecological, but also economic and political changes, can the Children's Board maintain its emphasis on prevention and early intervention?

        --Alvin