Join us on Friday AND Saturday! Every Day Heroes are HERE! Pass it on!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011

      Text Box:
FICS Board of Directors2011-2013Tony Jenkins, ChairVanessa Vazquez, Vice-ChairLarry Aiello, ComptrollerJustin Dees, JDMatilda GarciaCarlton LewisMaria Antonieta Riveros-RevelloPablo SierraAlvin Wolfe, PhD

      Press Release

      For Immediate Release:         November 30,, 2011

      Contact Person:                       Alayne Unterberger, 813.477.2882

      Town n Country and Ruskin Welcome 100 Everyday Heroes this Weekend!

      Tampa, Fl:   Capes flying, dancing feet and great art are only part of our Prodigy month offerings at two locations in recognition of a better future in the year 2050. Both events are free and open to the public!  Join us!

      Friday, December 2, is the first showcase in Town n Country.  Join us for  “Every Day Heroes of the Future: Town n Country in the year 2050,” from 6:30 to 8:30 PM at the Town n Country Recreation Center, 6039 Hanley Road, Tampa FL  33634.  This show combines all four of our disciplines: art, capoeira, breakdance and drums, with a skit and two special guests. We are excited that Mr. Bob Conigliaro, Vice President of Caspers Company McDonald’s Restaurants, who wowed our youth and families at 2008’s FICS Youth Summit will be sharing his view of “everyday heroes.”  Then, Mr. Walter Rosario, US Navy, will speak about “The Hero Within” and award special recognitions with us.

      The next day, South  County Prodigy, based in Ruskin, will be held right onsite at the Ruskin Tomato Festival!  Yes, our youth will take the stage, showing off two award winning projects: 1) Too Good for Drugs Banner with Heroes and 2) Trash Art (first place, KTBB) depicting two of the Heroes from the banner.  Art, breakdance and more will take place at  “Every Day Heroes of the Future: Ruskin in the year 2050”,  Tomato Festival, at EG Simmons Park, 2401 19th Avenue Northwest  Ruskin, FL on Saturday December 3, 2011 from 12 to 2 PM.

      The  Florida Institute for Community Studies, Inc. (FICS) has had the honor to serve as a site for the Prodigy Cultural Arts Program, serving between 500 and 600 at-risk youth and their families per year between our south county and TNC programs. The Every Day Hero theme challenges youth to find their inner strengths and future aspirations in determining their own future successes.  Both sites invite you to see the magic for yourselves as over one hundred performers aged 7 to 17 will link their “everyday hero” powers to their talents in capoeira,  breakdance, art and latin drums.  FICS is a nine year old, award winning* non-profit . Our mission is to partner with communities to help them achieve their goals through research, service, education and training. In Town n Country, FICS has made great strides at the community level to prevent gangs, bullying, substance abuse and other problems.  Prodigy’s slogan “Transforming Lives” exemplifies our experience that the arts afterschool teach youth 7-17 about making healthy choices.  Please call ahead to 813.249.8100.

      * FICS is the 2011 winner of Be More Brilliant Award (for Innovation) from WEDU TV

      * FICS was named 2011 What’s Right About Tampa Bay by Fox 13 TV

      * FICS was named 2011 Best of the Bay Multicultural Mentors by Creative Loafing

      --
      Alayne Unterberger, PhD Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS) PO Box 16745 Tampa FL 33687 813.249.8100 Community. Activism. Research. Education.