Don't miss our shows!!! :) Pass it on!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2011

      Text Box:
FICS Board of Directors2011-2013Tony Jenkins, ChairVanessa Vazquez, Vice-ChairLarry Aiello, ComptrollerJustin Dees, JDMatilda GarciaCarlton LewisMaria Antonieta Riveros-RevelloPablo SierraAlvin Wolfe, PhD

      Press Release

      For Immediate Release:         November 22, 2011

      Contact Person:                       Alayne Unterberger, 813.477.2882

      Every Day Heroes of the Future: Town n Country in 2050

      Tampa, Fl: What do you think will be the norm in the year 2050?  Flying cars?  A disease-free world?  If you like that sort of thing, please join us at our Winter 2011 Prodigy Showcases. The first, entitled “Every Day Heroes of the Future: Town n Country in the year 2050,” on FRIDAY Dec 2, 2011 from 6:30 to 8:30 PM at the Town n Country Recreation Center, 6039 Hanley Road, Tampa FL  33634.

      Prodigy also operates in South County, which Our agricultural south county show, “Every Day Heroes of the Future: Ruskin in the year 2050” is taking place right at the Tomato Festival, at EG Simmons Park, Ruskin on Saturday December 3, 2011 from 12 to 2 PM.  Both events are free and open to the public!  Join us!

      The  Florida Institute for Community Studies, Inc. (FICS) has had the honor to serve as a site for the Prodigy Cultural Arts Program, serving between 500 and 600 at-risk youth and their families per year between our south county and TNC programs.  December 2011 has been designated as Prodigy Month.  The Every Day Hero theme challenges youth to find their inner strengths and future aspirations in determining their own future successes.  Both sites invite you to see the magic for yourselves as over one hundred performers aged 7 to 17 will link their “everyday hero” powers to their talents in capoeira,  breakdance, art and latin drums.  Our TNC show is keynoted by Mr. Bob Conigliaro, Vice President of Caspers Company McDonald’s Restaurants, who wowed our youth and families at 2008’s FICS Youth Summit.  We are very excited to hear about his view of “everyday heroes.”

      FICS is a nine year old, award winning* non-profit . Our mission is to partner with communities to help them achieve their goals through research, service, education and training. In Town n Country, FICS has made great strides at the community level to prevent gangs, bullying, substance abuse and other problems.  Prodigy’s slogan “Transforming Lives” exemplifies our experience that the arts afterschool teach youth 7-17 about making healthy choices.  Please call ahead to 813.249.8100.  The Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS) is a statewide non-profit dedicated to partnering with communities to help them achieve their goals through research, services, education and training.

      * FICS is the 2011 winner of Be More Brilliant Award (for Innovation) from WEDU TV

      * FICS was named 2011 What’s Right About Tampa Bay by Fox 13 TV

      * FICS was named 2011 Best of the Bay Multicultural Mentors by Creative Loafing

      --
      Alayne Unterberger, PhD Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS) PO Box 16745 Tampa FL 33687 813.249.8100 Community. Activism. Research. Education.