AntConn/SCOPA/Friends of Anthro/Alums at Latam Friday noon

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2009
      Dear Members of the Anthropology Connections Committee and, in fact, all Anthro Friends and connections:

      I want to remind you that our out-going chair Elizabeth Bird has agreed to speak at our luncheon meeting at Latam, 1913 Nebraska Avenue, Tampa, on Friday July 10. All are invited, it's a "dutch" lunch.

      We want your participation and your help in finding ways to use all possible resources to better connect the alums of Applied Anthropology not only with each other but with a lot of others – "friends of anthropology."

      We believe that the Department's Anthropology Connections Committee (ANTCONN) can make better use of the Department of Anthropology web site to communicate better about anthropology's connections with applied anthropologists (for example the SunCoast Organization of Practicing Anthropologists [SCOPA), USF Applied Anthropology Alumni The USF Anthropology Alumni Society, and friends of anthropology (public persons who though not anthropologists themselves are helpful to anthropology).

      We think we could use the anthro web site to reach more people that we need to reach, motivate, and energize.
      We have had some discussion with webmaster Sue Regonini about AntConn's relation with the Anthropology web site.

      Dr. Bird's professional interests include the media in everyday life, "with particular interests in the role of news and journalism in framing cultural issues, and the relationship of media texts and audience practices." We can use that right here at home!

      We are sure that Dr. Bird will be able to give us some great ideas and that our new department chair, Dr. Brent Weisman, will help us operationalize them.
      --Alvin

      Alvin W. Wolfe
      Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
      Department of Anthropology
      4202 E. Fowler Avenue, SOC107
      University of South Florida
      Tampa, FL 33620-8100 813-974-0794