FW: Data.gov Launched

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 618 Bytes

    fyi

    From: On Behalf Of brian rajan nagendra
    Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:12 PM
    To: NNIP News
    Subject: Data.gov Launched

    Democratizing Data
    May 21, 2009 at 1:53 pm

    OMB Director Peter Orszag drops by to introduce us to what will be a key milestone in government transparency:

    Today, I'm pleased to announce that the Federal CIO Council is launching Data.gov. Created as part of the President's commitment to open government and democratizing information, Data.gov will open up the workings of government by making economic, healthcare, environmental, and other government information available on a single website, allowing the public to access raw data and transform it in innovative ways.

    Such data are currently fragmented across multiple sites and formats—making them hard to use and even harder to access in the first place. Data.gov will change this, by creating a one-stop shop for free access to data generated across all federal agencies. The Data.gov catalog will allow the American people to find, use, and repackage data held and generated by the government, which we hope will result in citizen feedback and new ideas.

    Data.gov will also help government agencies—so that taxpayer dollars get spent more wisely and efficiently. Through live data feeds, agencies will have the ability to easily access data both internally and externally from other agencies, which will allow them to maintain higher levels of performance. In the months and years ahead, our goal is to continuously improve and update Data.gov with a wide variety of available datasets and easy-to-use tools based on public feedback and as we modernize legacy systems over time.

    Democratizing government data will help change how government operates—and give citizens the ability to participate in making government services more effective, accessible, and transparent.

    Ed. Note: Watch Chief Information Officer Vivek Kundra describe the site, and learn more on this from the Open Government Initiative Innovation Gallery:

    Viewing this video requires Adobe Flash Player 8 or higher. Download the free player.