FW: Huge MA survey

    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2009

      From: Terry Redding [mailto:terrymredding@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:19 PM
      To: Terry M Redding
      Subject: Huge MA survey

      Dear Fellow MAs (and a few PhDs, too):

      Some of you know I am working with AAA to run an online survey designed to understand career trajectories of MAs. It's really a groundbreaking survey and the trick is going to be getting as many people to take is as possible. So, dear ones, I am sending you this for two reasons. First, please take the survey. The URL is below. Second, please forward the message below to as many MAs as you know (PhDs are OK too, esp. those who may have had a gap between MA and PhD).

      This is our big chance to make known what we are doing, if and how grad school education played a role in our careers, and what associations can do to meet our needs. If you don't take the survey, don't complain about anything later!!

      A few of you provided beta testing for the survey so you won't be able to take it again, but please forward it to your contacts.

      This will probably be the only message I send you, so please don't make me beg. It's not pretty. Read below, forward it on, and take the survey!

      With thanks,
      terry

      This is an invitation to take an online survey. But not just any survey.

      Each year there are at least 1,000 anthropology Masters degree graduates in North America. Most of them vanish, and are never heard from again, at least in anthropological circles.

      Where do they go? What are their career patterns?

      We want to find out, and need your help to do so. The AAA Committee on Practicing, Applied, and Public Interest Anthropology (CoPAPIA) is launching an effort to survey anyone who has ever received a Masters in anthropology from a North American institution prior to 2008. As far as we know this is the most comprehensive effort ever undertaken to get feedback from anthropology Masters graduates and understand where their degrees have taken them.

      Below is a link to the online survey. Please think of at least one MA you know of who has been “lost” to anthropology (i.e., someone who earned an anthropology MA, but does not belong to an association, does not attend annual meetings, does not contribute to anthropological journals or newsletters, etc.), and forward them this message, asking them to forward it in turn. This networking is absolutely vital to the success of the survey. You may also submit this to relevant list serves and other media.

      The anonymous survey takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete. Details and information about the survey can be found on a CoPAPIA information web page at http://www.aaanet.org/cmtes/copapia/MAalumnisurvey.cfm. Queries can be directed to MASurvey2009@....

      Those who wish to take the survey can go to the following URL:

      http://research.zarca.com/k/SsRXQTsVTsPsPsP

      Thank you for your crucial assistance in making this survey a success.