Re: [SCOPA] RE: Workshop: Creating Practitioners' Network

  • G B
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2008
      We seem to emerge when there is something to come together about, but we are certainly an amorphous lot.  We're juggling careers and families and tend to limit our scholarship to internal reports and power points.  I've begun to despise power points.
      Some of us run across each other at in meetings and might steal a moment to mention an article we've noticed or a brief lecture we've caught at conference as there are a fair number of us in or around the area working in related fields.  These tend to end with vague commitments to get together and glean some lessons learned with an anthropological lens.  And sometimes it does happen.
      Lately, and I can't speak for the group other than to say that I pull these thoughts from a couple of conversations I've had with colleagues from around the country - so it is by no means a representative sample - some of us feel alien to our academic brethren.  A sort of academic hegemony seems to be running through the professional organizations, even SfAA - it has always seemed to be that way with AAA (and as I said, this is not necessarily the opinion or observation of all the SCOPA members - but it is of a few) and frankly, the experience is a sense of hypocrisy.  This is a difficult issue when you have friends and colleagues in academia for whom you also feel a sense of love and respect and look forward to what they may be doing next.   I guess it is like a dysfunctional family sort of dynamic.
      I think these are difficult times for our academic brethren.  It is certainly always a difficult time for an applied (or practicing if you prefer) anthropologist.  Some of us have joked about breaking away entirely and forming a guild of anthropraxis - but then the joke is finding the time to get together to do it.
      Each of us began life listening to the beat of our mother's hearts.  We follow the rhythms of the rising and setting sun, the seasons (even when they are simply the seasons of hot and hotter), and we pace ourselves to the cadence of our cultural roles and obligations.  We know timing is as critical to ideas as much as it is to anything else in our lives.  This seems to be a time when we don't have the luxury of being dysfunctional.  This seems to be a time when anthropology can actualize some of the positive things it has gathered on human organization over the past hundred fifty years or so and put them to work.  We seem to be at a moment in time where some people may actually try things.
      I guess I am saying, I think we may need more than a workshop - but it's certainly a place to start.  We can easily pass the information along.  Thank you.
      More than two cents and probably should have waited till morning to push the send button.