FW: NAPA - LPO table/booth at the SfAA

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20 5:19 AM

      From: Jim Mullooly [mailto:jmullooly@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:57 AM
      To: Glenn Brown
      Subject: RE: NAPA - LPO table/booth at the SfAA

      Glen,

      Would you mind sending the following message to the SCOPA membership through your list or message board?

      Dear SCOPA membership,

      I will be organizing a booth to promote NAPA and LPOs at the SfAA meeting next week in the book display room.  The booth will be open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 9am-4pm.  This has historically been a great opportunity for local LPO’s to show support at the national level as well as expanding their numbers locally.  I would greatly appreciate your participation in volunteering for an hour or two during the meetings at our table.

      Please respond directly to me (jmullooly@...) with your available times anytime from Thursday through Saturday between 9am-4pm.

      Gratefully,

      -Jim (Chair, Communication Committee,NAPA )

      =============================
      James Mullooly, PhD
      Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology
      California State University , Fresno
      www.csufresno.edu/Anthropology/Faculty/Mullooly

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 8:14 AM
        Message
        can someone tell me what a LPO and NAPA are? It is sometimes helpful to spell out such things. Thanks and Peace.

        Please respond directly to me (jmullooly@csufresn o.edu) with your available times anytime from Thursday through Saturday between 9am-4pm.

        ============ ========= ========
        James Mullooly, PhD
        Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology
        California State University , Fresno
        www.csufresno. edu/Anthropology /Faculty/ Mullooly

        Terry suggested that I contact you directly since you live in Tampa .  We need volunteers for the NAPA table and you both know many folks locally.  This could be a good opportunity for SCOPA to show their stuff.  Last year, BAAPA made a big showing at the AAA meetings in San Jose .

        Additionally, I would appreciate it if you pass this around student circles.  Hanging out at the table is a good way to meet professional anthropologists and get mentored.

        -Jim
        ============ ========= ========
        James Mullooly, PhD
        Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology
        California State University , Fresno
        Fresno , CA 93740 M/S PB 137
        (o) 559-278-7766 or -7574

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 1:22 PM
          Hi everyone! This email is FYI and a volunteer request.

          Most of you probably don't remember this far back, but when I was more
          involved with SCOPA, we cosponsored the SfAA meetings in San Juan Puerto
          Rico in 1998. I was on the planning committee and SCOPA contributed
          about 5 sessions. It was great. Along those lines, we also had a table
          and recruited members, since we were the closest LPO (Local Practitioner
          Organization) to the Meetings that year.

          NAPA is the National Association for the Practice of Anthropology, a
          section under the AAA. It is the "applied/practicing" arm of AAA. I was
          on the NAPA board as the Student Representative from the University of
          Florida.

          I remain active with both NAPA and SfAA. That being said, there is a
          NAPA Student Professional Social (free beer, wine, cheese) on Wednesday
          night and I have "personned" the LPO table before so if you want me to,
          I am happy to sit there for a shift. NAPA lets LPOs like SCOPA promote
          ourselves this way. Does anyone else want to volunteer a shift with me?
          We need flyers, a schedule of SCOPA meetings and those famous keychains,
          if Al still has them!!!!