USF alums session at SfAA 2007 in Tampa

  • Wolfe, Alvin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006

      Would you please consider doing a paper in a session during the SfAA meetings March 30, 2007?

      The session abstract will be something like this – depending on your advice and consultation:

      PROPOSED DRAFT TITLE OF PROPOSED SESSION AT 2007 SfAA

      South Florida’s impact on anthropology and society.

      DRAFT ABSTRACT OF SESSION:  The archives of the University of South Florida contains a list of forty-two works descriptive of the MA and PhD programs in applied anthropology published between 1974 and 1994.  At least two hundred graduates of those programs have now been out in the work force at least twenty years, and another hundred have been added to that in the past decade.  It is surely time to consider the impact of those professional practitioners on the discipline of anthropology and on the various professions in and around which they work.  To get the anthropological perspective on that these natives speak for themselves.

      Proposed Papers in the Proposed Session:

      I will give an introductory overview. Michael Angrosino might give a paper. Michelle Ogilvie and Alayne Unterberger have offered to give papers.

      We will have to negotiate quickly, because all SfAA registrations and paper abstracts and the session proposal and abstracts will have to go through us first and then into SfAA, all by October 15.  Your ideas and suggestions are welcomed, but they must be received quickly.

      Thanks much for your consideration.

      -- Alvin

      Alvin Wolfe

    • alayne unterberger
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
        that was a while ago...i do not think i can give another paper...i
        already have two!

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
          I still think it is a good idea to explore the concept of a roundtable
          for this meeting...it would allow more participation, even if it is less
          formal. It would be like a large focus group of sorts and I think it
          would reflect well on the USF program. From there, John's got a good
          point, we could solicit abstract/papers for PA or some other venue.

          The other advantage of a roundtable might be that if people are already
          committed to sessions, they should still be able to contribute to
          roundtables...they don't count the same. In the past, that was the case
          but we could check with the program chairs.