FW: Local Practitioner Organizations and the AAA newsletter

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14 1:42 PM
      Terry Redding is the NAPA liaison this year.  Is there anything anyone wants to share (or can share) with NAPA?  Heck, maybe someone has something they may want to share with the rest of us too...for example, here at the Children's Board, Slake and Amy have been trying to develop standards of practice around Empowerment Evaluation of contracts and grants (tricky stuff when there are inherent power relationships - raises the question of plausibility to some extent - stay tuned).  Kathy Maes and Christy Shuman (who was at USF but  has married and moved away to go do great things in Washington State...) have helped to bring "The Community Atlas" to life on the web (http://www.hillsborough.communityatlas.usf.edu/ ) - check it out.  It has been described by Bay News 9 as "A map on steroids..."  Brian McEwen has been busy with his child advocacy efforts.  Alvin Wolfe has been leading the Lutz Democrats to future victories in the democratic world.  And  Alayne Unterberger (oh, that is Dr. Unterberger to some of us...) recently facilitated a successful community meeting in the Town and Country area of Hillsborough around the issue of gang violence and continues to keep FICS a successful community resource.

      Do any of these folks have something to publish with the NAPA crew?  I don't know, though it is good stuff they are doing and they are trying to use anthropology while they do it. I don't think I am the only one, but maybe I am, when I admit that I do like to hear about the interesting stuff people are up to, and it gives me hope that I too, may one day be interesting as well...maybe others are a little like me (no, I don't mean boring, I mean interested in what other people are doing).

      If you have something you want to pass on to Terry, by all means, do so.  If you don't want to pass it on to Terry but simply want to share with the rest of us, well heck, that's just fine too.  And ...well, don't make me write the obvious from here...It's nice to have choices and be able to exercise them.

      Regards all,
      Glenn

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15 7:44 PM

        Hi everyone,

        Thank you Glenn for the update; I too love to hear what everyone is doing. I don’t have anything to share for the NAPA newsletter but can give a personal update. I have been very busy since my daughter, Abigail, was born on Sept. 13, 2005—shortly after the last AntConn meeting. Professionally, I will be starting as a project manager soon for the VA Patient Safety Center here in Tampa . My current position as a project manager for the VISN 8 Measurement & Evaluation Team, an internal evaluation unit, will be gone at the end of the fiscal year. I am pretty excited since I will be working on more research projects & have the opportunity to work on some very interesting studies.

        Hope everyone is doing well!

        Take care,

        Bridget Hahm

[...]

        Please note: E-mail communications sent to and from the Children’s Board of Hillsborough County are subject to the public records laws of Florida .

      • Wolfe, Alvin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17 2:44 PM
          Message
          Glenn, by forwarding Terry Redding's message about LPO news are you telling us that you will collect the bits and pieces of SCOPA news, collate and edit it, and send it on to ingat@... ?   I recently sent this note to the USF-ant list, but it could be relevant to SCOPA members as well:

          As Chair of the Board of Directors of FICS (Florida Institute for Community Studies), I urge you to consider also that FICS offers many opportunities for students to work with neighborhoods and communities on a variety of important projects.  Some of you know the Executive Director of FICS, Dr. Alayne Unterberger, SCOPA member who got her MA at USF,  won the USF Distinguished Alum Award, and then earned the PhD in Anthropology at UF. See the FICS web site: FICSINC.ORG

          --Alvin
          Alvin W. Wolfe
          Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
          Department of Anthropology
          4202 E. Fowler Avenue, SOC107
          University of South Florida
          Tampa, FL  33620-8100   813-974-0794

[...]

            Please note: E-mail communications sent to and from the ChildrenÂ’s Board of Hillsborough County are subject to the public records laws of Florida.

            Yahoo! Mail
          • Brian McEwen
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20 9:54 AM

              You will get neither whining nor complaining from me, Glenn!