FW: NAPA e-Newsletter: March 2006: Addendum

  • GB
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13 4:12 AM
      From: noreplies@...
      [mailto:noreplies@...]
      Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 3:41 PM
      To: glennb39@...
      Subject: NAPA e-Newsletter: March 2006: Addendum

      Dear Glenn Brown,

      As an "addendum" to my e-newsletter of last week, I have been asked to
      circulate the following two announcements. Please follow up with the
      contacts listed, and not with me.

      Micki Iris
      NAPA President
      miris@...

      1. Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work

      CSCW 2006, the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, is the
      premier venue for presenting research and development achievements in the
      design, introduction, and use of technology that affect groups,
      organizations, communities and societies. CSCW is soliciting
      multidisciplinary proposals for its conference November 4-8, 2006 in Banff
      Canada. The deadline is March 17th. More details can be found on the
      website: http://www.cscw2006.org/. Also note that Jonathan Grudin at
      Microsoft is soliciting software tutorials for the conference. You can
      contact Jonathan for more info: jgrudin@...

      2. High Plans Society for Applied Anthropology Spring Conference

      Abstracts for presentations at the High Plains Society for Applied
      Anthropology (HPSfAA) Spring Conference are due Wednesday, March 15th. You
      can e-mail them to Conference Chair Joseph Hamer at cascades@..., or
      mail them to: HPSfAA Conference Chair, 2725 SE Washington St., Milwaukie, OR
      (97222). For more information on the conference visit the website:
      http://www.hpsfaa.org.

      Conference Info: Dates: April 28 - 30, 2006, Place: Estes Park YMCA Camp,
      Estes Park, Colorado

      Conference Theme: "Webbed Anthropology: Articulating the Relationships
      Involved in Our Efforts to Improve the World"

      To apply anthropology is to enter into larger networks and movements
      centered in social justice, cultural pluralism, sustainability, and more
      specific contemporary human challenges. Looking broadly at our domains of
      application, and our relationships to the various actors therein, is
      strategically important in a globalized world where culture and power are
      becoming ever more complex. In this context it could also prove insightful
      to explore how our theories of social change inform our choices of how and
      where to work.

      This year's conference theme, "Webbed Anthropology," is intended to cause
      reflection on the variety of relationships we cultivate in our work. Who are
      we working for, with, and against? How has our training in anthropology
      helped us to collaborate with people from other disciplines and from
      organizations of various sorts? How do we interact with those in positions
      of power? And what are we doing in the way of community empowerment and
      participation? Finally, what associations need yet be made to address social
      problems successfully?

      For more information, visit the HPSfAA website, http://www.hpsfaa.org, or
      contact Conference Chair Joseph Hamer at cascades@....

      If you do not know your access information, you can look it up via the
      following web page:

      http://www.practicinganthropology.org/bin/login.cfm?option=lookup