Central Park Development

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
      I just learned that this morning, right now, they are having a
      presentation of the Development plans, at the Tampa Housing Authority,
      1514 Union St, 253-0551. Sorry we didn't know about it earlier.
      --Alvin
    • E.J. Ford
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
        I have been following the coverage of the Central Park Village development
        stuff for a while now and I wanted to point out something that may be
        obvious to most readers of this series of emails:

        The THA is not asking the question of the current resident that they should
        be asking. What they are asking is something like: "Aren't these new
        constructions a whole lot better than what you have now?" Only a fool would
        say that they are not a significant improvement. When, in reality, what
        they should be asking is: "Would you allow us to build these new places if
        you knew that you would be unlikely to pass the readmission application that
        is required for all residents of the new place?"

        Again, this may strike people as obvious, but the "resident's association"
        has bought into the idea that anything would be better than what they have
        presently - they haven't given much thought to the idea that some/all of the
        current residents will be displaced. Dr. Greenbaum pointed out, when
        Civitas was first under construction, that what is actually happening is
        that residents are expressing a disconnect - they understand that people
        will be displaced, but they assume that they will be someone else.

        Let's keep all this in mind as the project moves inexorably forward and
        residents begin to be quoted.

        EJ "I know you knew this already - I wasn't talking to you" Ford

        I just learned that this morning, right now, they are having a
        presentation of the Development plans, at the Tampa Housing Authority,
        1514 Union St, 253-0551. Sorry we didn't know about it earlier.

      • Greenbaum, Susan
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
          Beverly, Shari, Wendy, and I attended. It was very interesting. I conferred briefly with Jerome, Leroy and Don Wallace about our continued interest in helping with the transition for residents and other issues where we have something to offer. They spoke several times about preserving and reusing the Meachum School, an outcome that was not originally planned. Much credit is owed to David Butler and the community members he mobilized to make sure its historic value was certified.

          We welcome any advice and assistance that members of the list can offer our ongoing effort to both measure and mitigate any adverse impacts of this redevelopment. We will be starting our meetings again soon. If you have a specific interest in being included, please let me know.

          Susan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
            EJ is correct that the most difficult problem will be the disqualifiers that have kept the vast majority of previous relocatees from being able to move back into the redeveloped housing. This issue is one of our top priorities. Good ideas are especially welcome on that.

            ________________________________

            I just learned that this morning, right now, they are having a
            presentation of the Development plans, at the Tampa Housing Authority,
            1514 Union St, 253-0551. Sorry we didn't know about it earlier.

          • Ward, Beverly
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005

              here's the proposers' web site, http://www.centralparktampa.com/

              I just learned that this morning, right now, they are having a
              presentation of the Development plans, at the Tampa Housing Authority,
              1514 Union St, 253-0551.  Sorry we didn't know about it earlier.
              --Alvin

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • RHabin@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                Thank you Beverly. I will peruse it soon. And, they quote Eleanor Roosevelt!

                                                                                                        Best wishes,

                                                                                                        Ron
              • Greenbaum, Susan
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                  Ron,

                  One of the developer/planning groups is from Orlando. Gladding-Jackson (I think that was the name). Do you know anything about their work there?

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                    Beverly,

                        I will check it out among other contacts at OHA.
                        As to your attachment, my computer doesn't seem to like dat. suffixes. I keep getting bounced to Microsoft products (what else) with no hard information as to which patch I need.
                        Send attachment w/o dat suffix?

                                                                                                                    Best,

                                                                                                                    Ron
                  • Ward, Beverly
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                      it may be a good thing your computer doesn't like *.dats. i don't recall sending you an attachment. if it was the email to scopa, i did include the website link, which some programs treat as attachments. but, it shouldn't have had a dat.

                      take care.

                      Online social science degree <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Online+social+science+degree&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=qUTKndg76dTq-MPE9m_CHA> Social science degree <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+degree&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=vk28IMI-w5zVM6rcbRitMw> Social science education <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+education&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=XgwCCIt80XSW8V15uIvoGg>
                      Social science major <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+major&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=kWjxYkZKPq0_Bx_e1SsLXA> Social science class <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+class&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=hmjbBhDldZBnoZuz-WDB3Q> Social science college <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+college&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=bToALWRNM2SuV2p7mQXx-A>