RE: [SCOPA] Central Park Development

  • Greenbaum, Susan
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2 1:14 PM
      Then, please suggest to her that there is a team of researchers at USF who have much to offer this effort, and we were pointedly not asked. We held meetings all fall and winter to talk about the relocation/redevelopment, and we staged a very successful community forum in February that drew a wide audience with many thoughtful ideas.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2 2:58 PM
        RE: [SCOPA] Central Park Development

        Susan –

        I don’t think I want to have this conversation with you in this open forum. I’m afraid I’ve unintentionally led us to this point, when all I meant to do with my comments about Deanne was respond to Alvin .

        Call me if you want to pursue this. My work number is 673-4646. ext 285.

        Brian

        Then, please suggest to her that there is a team of researchers at USF who have much to offer this effort, and we were pointedly not asked.  We held meetings all fall and winter to talk about the relocation/redevelopment, and we staged a very successful community forum in February that drew a wide audience with many thoughtful ideas.

        Are some of you following the developments re Central Park Village? I
        am sure the Tribune's editorial view is overly optimistic.
         http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGBDNEYWTBE.html
        Are we pursuing social impact assessment?
        -- Alvin

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Greenbaum, Susan
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3 2:05 AM
          this certainly piques my curiosity. I will call you. Many other people on this list participated in the forum and have a longstanding interest in this issue.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3 12:26 PM
                Unrfortunately, I'm getting lots of advertisements for Microsoft Windows XP every time I try to open the file winmail.dat. Wish I could join in.
                Is it referring to Tribune editorials I could find on line?

                                                                                                                Ron
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 16 5:24 AM
              I just learned that this morning, right now, they are having a
              presentation of the Development plans, at the Tampa Housing Authority,
              1514 Union St, 253-0551. Sorry we didn't know about it earlier.
              --Alvin
            • E.J. Ford
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 16 5:45 AM
                I have been following the coverage of the Central Park Village development
                stuff for a while now and I wanted to point out something that may be
                obvious to most readers of this series of emails:

                The THA is not asking the question of the current resident that they should
                be asking. What they are asking is something like: "Aren't these new
                constructions a whole lot better than what you have now?" Only a fool would
                say that they are not a significant improvement. When, in reality, what
                they should be asking is: "Would you allow us to build these new places if
                you knew that you would be unlikely to pass the readmission application that
                is required for all residents of the new place?"

                Again, this may strike people as obvious, but the "resident's association"
                has bought into the idea that anything would be better than what they have
                presently - they haven't given much thought to the idea that some/all of the
                current residents will be displaced. Dr. Greenbaum pointed out, when
                Civitas was first under construction, that what is actually happening is
                that residents are expressing a disconnect - they understand that people
                will be displaced, but they assume that they will be someone else.

                Let's keep all this in mind as the project moves inexorably forward and
                residents begin to be quoted.

                EJ "I know you knew this already - I wasn't talking to you" Ford

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 16 9:27 AM
                  Beverly, Shari, Wendy, and I attended. It was very interesting. I conferred briefly with Jerome, Leroy and Don Wallace about our continued interest in helping with the transition for residents and other issues where we have something to offer. They spoke several times about preserving and reusing the Meachum School, an outcome that was not originally planned. Much credit is owed to David Butler and the community members he mobilized to make sure its historic value was certified.

                  We welcome any advice and assistance that members of the list can offer our ongoing effort to both measure and mitigate any adverse impacts of this redevelopment. We will be starting our meetings again soon. If you have a specific interest in being included, please let me know.

                  Susan

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 16 9:29 AM
                    EJ is correct that the most difficult problem will be the disqualifiers that have kept the vast majority of previous relocatees from being able to move back into the redeveloped housing. This issue is one of our top priorities. Good ideas are especially welcome on that.

                    ________________________________

                    I just learned that this morning, right now, they are having a
                    presentation of the Development plans, at the Tampa Housing Authority,
                    1514 Union St, 253-0551. Sorry we didn't know about it earlier.

                  • Ward, Beverly
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 16 10:48 AM

                      here's the proposers' web site, http://www.centralparktampa.com/

                      I just learned that this morning, right now, they are having a
                      presentation of the Development plans, at the Tampa Housing Authority,
                      1514 Union St, 253-0551.  Sorry we didn't know about it earlier.
                      --Alvin

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    • RHabin@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 16 12:48 PM
                        Thank you Beverly. I will peruse it soon. And, they quote Eleanor Roosevelt!

                                                                                                                Best wishes,

                                                                                                                Ron
                      • Greenbaum, Susan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 16 5:27 PM
                          Ron,

                          One of the developer/planning groups is from Orlando. Gladding-Jackson (I think that was the name). Do you know anything about their work there?

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 17 8:42 AM
                            Beverly,

                                I will check it out among other contacts at OHA.
                                As to your attachment, my computer doesn't seem to like dat. suffixes. I keep getting bounced to Microsoft products (what else) with no hard information as to which patch I need.
                                Send attachment w/o dat suffix?

                                                                                                                            Best,

                                                                                                                            Ron
                          • Ward, Beverly
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 17 12:24 PM
                              it may be a good thing your computer doesn't like *.dats. i don't recall sending you an attachment. if it was the email to scopa, i did include the website link, which some programs treat as attachments. but, it shouldn't have had a dat.

                              take care.

                              Online social science degree <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Online+social+science+degree&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=qUTKndg76dTq-MPE9m_CHA> Social science degree <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+degree&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=vk28IMI-w5zVM6rcbRitMw> Social science education <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+education&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=XgwCCIt80XSW8V15uIvoGg>
                              Social science major <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+major&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=kWjxYkZKPq0_Bx_e1SsLXA> Social science class <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+class&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=hmjbBhDldZBnoZuz-WDB3Q> Social science college <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+science+college&w1=Online+social+science+degree&w2=Social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+education&w4=Social+science+major&w5=Social+science+class&w6=Social+science+college&c=6&s=171&.sig=bToALWRNM2SuV2p7mQXx-A>