LPO News for the SfAA Newsletter

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2005
      If nobody objects, I will send in the following SCOPA Notes:

      LPO News for the SfAA Newsletter:
      SCOPA (Sun Coast Organization of Practicing Anthropology)

      Following up on the report in the January 2005 SfAA Newsletter about
      the joint SCOPA-AntConn-USF-Collaborative-Task-Group-on-Neighborhoods-
      and-Communities activities, it should be said that SCOPA continues to
      collaborate with those other organizations interested in encouraging
      public authorities to do proper community impact assessments of any
      development or re-development projects.

      We are concerned that nothing like that has been done for the
      projects being contemplated to replace Central Park Village in
      Tampa. An April 29, 2005, joint City of Tampa and Tampa Housing
      Authority "Request for Qualification" sent to developers made no
      mention of social impact assessment even though the project will
      uproot hundreds of families, sending many into other neighborhoods
      where impacts will be felt as well. SCOPA anthropologists, and
      University anthropologists as well, are trying to encourage the
      authorities to do a better job of planning.

      On the subject of social impact assessment, it is worth mentioning
      that one of SCOPA's most active early members, the late Picot Floyd,
      who earned his Ph.D. in applied anthropology at the University of
      South Florida in 1988, was responsible for initiating the first
      municipal ordinance to require "community impact assessment" for
      almost any development in the city of Clearwater, a small city
      adjacent to Tampa. In the late 1970s, Floyd received many accolades
      for his innovativeness and his forward-looking initiatives as City
      Manager. But it seems strange, doesn't it, that almost thirty years
      later another generation of anthropologists still has to be pleading
      for public authorities to recognize the value of social impact
      assessments.

      --Alvin Wolfe
    • Brian McEwen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
        Looks great to me.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Kathleen Maes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
          I agree -- excellent!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
            Dr. Wolfe, excellent newsletter article- may I suggest if it is not too
            late, that mention of the other organizations would really enrich the
            article. That would include the Housing Authority, city of Tampa and
            Planning Commission. Thank you for your continued championing of
            Anthropology in action! Peace.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
              Also relevant is the fact that Greenbaum, Ward, and Harold Keller (in COE) have recently gotten a grant from the USF Collaborative, in partnership with the two agencies in Michele's email, to continue the Central Avenue/Park impact assessment.  The developer will be selected in a few weeks.  At that point we will be there to help.  We hope that SCOPA will be actively involved.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005
                I managed to insert the suggestions of Michelle Ogilvie and Dr.
                Greenbaum before I sent it off. Why had we not heard earlier about the
                Greenbaum, Ward and Keller grant? That would have been good news for
                this SCOPA YahooGroup, and for all those interested in Central Avenue.
                Are there other relevant items that would be helpful to all?