Re: [SCOPA] Fwd: Abuse of poor neighborhood in Lakeland, Florida

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
      Yikes, this is happening all over Florida. Yesterday, FICS just met with
      residents of Punta Gorda who were not only displaced by the hurricane,
      but now are not receiving the answers they hoped for from the City or
      County. Development is booming post hurricane like never before - which
      means we will probably have scores of communities in the same situation
      by this time next year.

      A dialogue about this development - and what it means for any sense of
      historic preservation or community - needs to begin and be sustained.

      Our group decided to do the following:

      1. Form an email list
      2. Embark on a letters to the editor campaign
      3. Invite elected officials and city managers to a future meeting
      4. Evaluate their efforts on 6/26

      Good luck