SCOPA and the USF COLLABORATIVE FOR CHILDREN FAMILIES AND COMMUNITIES

    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2005
      At last Thursday's meeting of the Neighborhoods and Communities
      Workgroup (Thursday, 5/19/2005)of the USF Collaborative for Children
      Families and Communities, the participants discussed and finally
      listed a number of "lessons learned" during the past several years of
      workgroup activities, and then proceeded to identifiy some things "To
      Do" in the near future.

      Many of the items on the "To Do" list are things that are right up
      the applied anthropology alley. Some examples:

      • Database on dissertation and theses. We already maintain
      that kind of list for MA and PhD theses and dissertations in applied
      anthropology.
      • Develop a community of students interested in this work. We
      pretty much have that in our applied anthropology programs – but we
      should probably communicate more with students in other disciplines.
      • Ask Alumni Association to organize a group and $ for
      community engagement. A few years ago we established an Anthropology
      Alumni Society, but it has been inactive for a year. Time to
      resuscitate and mingle with others.
      • Use graduates to be advocates and resources. Anthropologists
      need to do more in this area, although we have not been dormant.
      • Explore linkage agent role for Collaborative of organizations
      such as the Tampa Bay Chapters of the American Society of Public
      Administrators and the National Association of Social Workers, and
      (last but not least!) the Suncoast Organization of Practicing
      Anthropologists (The LPO affiliated with SfAA and NAPA).
      • Put together clearinghouse of students interested in
      internships and employment. Internships and employment are applied
      anthropology's meat.

      So, I would like to see SCOPA doing more in these areas, in
      collaboration with the USF Collaborative for Children, Families and
      Communities.
      See the Collaborative Web Site: www.fmhi.usf.edu/
      --Alvin Wolfe
    • Michele Ogilvie
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2005
        Dr. Wolfe, I could not agree more with you, especailly on the last 3. It
        is so very important that we showcase to the broader community our
        applied skills. Peace.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2005
          i agree!
          This is the spirit of applied/practicing anthropology. Also, FICS is
          happy to coordinate with any efforts to link anthropologists to
          communities in collaboration with these efforts.
          I wonder if there should be some sort of meeting or get together so all
          these groups can talk and exchange ideas?
          If we wanted to have this, I propose we do not do it on USF campus,
          since parking has become sooo difficult. La Tam would seem to be a good
          option, maybe Children's Board conference room or even our new
          Multicultural Center (but we are way out in TNC). I get back from Puerto
          Rico at the end of the month.