SCOPA activities re planning and impact assessment

    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2005
      On January 22, 2005, immediately after our joint AntConn-SCOPA
      meeting I sent the following report in to Carla Littlefield, then
      LPO news editor for the SfAA Newsletter:

      Members of the Sun Coast Organization of Practicing Anthropologists
      (SCOPA) are busy applying their skills and perspective in many areas
      of the Tampa Bay Area, but we have not really done much as a
      corporate body. As we have previously reported that our activities
      are mostly in the areas of neighborhood and community planning,
      especially when that planning is for children and families, housing
      and transportation, and especially when those activities are pushed
      by the University of South Florida Collaborative for Children,
      Families and Communities (which involves USF faculty but always
      involves community representatives as well).

      A most interesting current development is a jointly sponsored forum
      aiming at arousing community interest in doing community impact
      assessment before proceeding with any developments that would affect
      neighborhoods. Professor Susan Greenbaum's research on public
      housing has stimulated interest on the part of SCOPA members as well
      as other activists in the Tampa Bay Area. We expect Professor Stan
      Hyland from the University of Memphis to participate in that forum. -
      -Alvin W. Wolfe, January 22, 2005

      Since then, we have had a number of updates on these joint SCOPA-
      AntConn-USF-Collaborative-Task-Group-on-Neighborhoods-and-Communities
      activities reported on the SCOPA YahooGroup (see messages 141, 143,
      146, 149, 150, 157, and 160). None of these have been reported to
      the LPO News, but they should be.

      SCOPA, the Sun Coast Organization of Practicing Anthropologists,
      continues to collaborate with other organizations interested in
      encouraging public authorities to do proper community impact
      assessments of any development or re-development projects. We are
      concerned that nothing like that has been done for the projects being
      contemplated to replace Central Park Village in Tampa. An April 29,
      2005, joint City of Tampa and Tampa Housing Authority "Request for
      Qualification" sent to developers makes no mention of social impact
      assessment even though it will uproot hundreds of families, no doubt
      sending many into other neighborhoods where impacts will be felt as
      well. SCOPA anthropologists and University anthropologists as well,
      are trying to encourage the authorities to do a better job of
      planning.

      It ought to be worth mentioning somewhere that one of the founders of
      SCOPA, the late Picot Floyd, who earned his Ph.D. in applied
      anthropology at the University of South Florida in 1988, was
      responsible for initiating the first municipal ordinance to
      require "community impact assessment" for almost any development in
      the city of Clearwater, a small city adjacent to Tampa. At that
      time, in the late 1970s, Floyd received many accolades for his
      innovativeness and his forward-looking initiatives as City Manager.
      But it seems strange, doesn't it, that almost thirty years later
      another generation of anthropologists still has to be pleading for
      public authorities to recognize the value of social impact
      assessments.

      --Alvin Wolfe
    • RHabin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2005
            Thanks Al. I'm glad you're back. It is ridiculous that we professionals have to plead for a place at the table in 2005. Obviously, an area impact assessment of the Central Park community is critically important. Count me in for front line duty.
            Do stay in contact.

                                                                                                            Best wishes,

                                                                                                            Ron