Central Avenue Area Community Impact Assessment Forum

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2005
      Following are several notes about important and interesting events,
      including Saturday's Forum. --Alvin

      Subject: meeting Friday with Stan Hyland

      Stan Hyland will arrive this afternoon. He is speaking tonight at
      USF Bioscience auditorium at 7 PM.
      Subject: THURSDAY -- Stan Hyland-Urban Anthropology and
      Engaged Scholarship

      Engaged Scholarship in Urban Community Building

      A presentation by

      Dr. Stan Hyland, Director of the School of Urban Affairs and Public
      Policy, University of Memphis.

      Thursday, February 17, 2005

      *BSF 100

      7-9 PM

      Prof. Hyland has had extensive experience in linking university
      resources with local activists and public officials involved with
      planning and implementing neighborhood revitalization in Memphis. He
      has developed a model system for utilizing research and data in
      service to the needs of the larger community. His work has earned
      him major awards, including the Praxis Award for applied
      anthropology, the Harold Love Outstanding Community Involvement
      Award, and a HUD Best Practices Award for his project "Memphis
      Maps." His presentation will examine the meaning of "engaged
      scholarship" and offer a discussion of how the work he has done in
      Memphis might be applicable to community researchers at USF.

      Sponsored by the USF Collaborative for Children, Families &
      Communities; USF CAS Community Initiative; USF Dept. of Anthropology.

      *Bio-science auditorium, located west of Admin adjacent to the Bio-
      Science building.

      The planning committee (for Saturday's Forum) will meet tomorrow
      (Friday) at Kid Mason Center, 1101 N. Jefferson, 10 AM. Stan Hyland
      will attend the meeting. The work that he has done in Memphis,
      especially the role of the University of Memphis in coordinating
      useful information and research, offers a model for the kind of
      ongoing partnerships we hope will develop from the forum.

      AGENDA for the Planning Meeting

      I. Review of final agenda/program for the forum

      II. Subcommittee reports: arrangements; research/information;
      publicity; follow up

      III. Stan's role and ideas for follow up

      USF Collaborative for Children, Families, & Communities
      Neighborhoods & Communities Working Group

      What: A community meeting to discuss the potential impacts of
      redevelopment and relocation when Central Park Village is

      When: Saturday January ??, 2004
      11:00 am – 2:00 pm

      Where: Kid Mason Center
      1101 N Jefferson Avenue
      Tampa, FL 33602

      Agenda Welcome & Introduction 11:00-11:15 am

      Central Park redevelopment;
      issues and possible impacts 11:15-12:00 pm

      In the above period, USF researchers will briefly outline possible
      impacts on services, transportation, job and school continuity,
      health care access, business transitions, housing availability, etc.
      Actual list and sequence of topics remains to be determined.

      Lunch 12:00-1:00 pm

      Lunch will provide a chance for participants to
      talk informally about issues and thoughts about solutions to
      potential problems. Tables will be identified with particular issue
      areas to facilitate common interests.

      Break-out & Reporting 1:00-2:00 pm

      This will be a small group discussion based on
      issue area interests, who will talk about past experiences and
      possible solutions for about 20 minutes. The last half hour will
      involve group reports and plans for follow up.

      The above is a reconstruction of what was planned; these ideas are
      subject to change.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
        Hey, SCOPA members! The Central Park Area Community Forum on
        Saturday was a great event. I honestly believe it was the beginning
        of a long-term positive dialogue among public agency "bureaucrats,"
        nonprofit representatives, and residents. It will make for much
        improved neighborhood development, not just for Central Park Village
        and its environs but for a much wider area, perhaps all of Tampa and
        Hillsborough County. And, what makes me proud is that
        anthropologists from USF and SCOPA played leadership, generative, and
        brokerage roles.

        Memphis anthropologist Stan Hyland, whom Susan Greenbaum had invited
        in as one already experienced in this kind of effort, did a marvelous
        job of helping to ease the relations among these separate players.
        He uses a metaphor that has the community residents using a three-
        legged stool to boost their own capabilities, the legs being the
        public bureaucrats, the academic scholars, and the nonprofit service
        agencies. The relationships among all these components represent a
        knowledge base that, in each neighborhood, can be used to increase
        the quality of life for all the participants.

        New technologies, electronic databases and geographic information
        systems, make it possible to recognize the community assets, in
        neighborhoods targeted for rehabilitation or destruction and for
        neighborhoods into which relocated households might move.

        Recording those community assets alone is not an end in itself. It
        is important disseminate the information to those who will use it, to
        the residents themselves who must decide what options they can
        exercise – should they stay or should they leave, should they fight
        for their own neighborhood or should they elect to move out and if so

        Dr. Hyland described the efforts they have made, and are still
        making, in Memphis to collect and disseminate such valuable
        information to residents. They tried establishing resource centers
        in local neighborhoods, but nobody came. They tried information
        kiosks spread widely in neighborhoods, again with disappointing
        results. Now they are trying to work through the middle schools,
        combining the ideas that children are adept at electronic
        communication, and children are connected to families that need all
        the kinds of information that are in this knowledge base that is
        being developed by public agencies, nonprofit agencies and academic

        I am just giving you some of my informal reactions to the Forum.
        Hopefully other SCOPA members will add their comments via this SCOPA
        YahooGroup. And, later, I hope the official recorders of the forum
        will share their more full and more formal records with us through
        this SCOPA YahooGroup. Finally, I hope that our anthropological
        input continues at a high level.