Central Avenue Area Community Impact Assessment Forum

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2005
      Be sure to save Saturday February 19 for the Central Avenue Area
      Community Impact Assessment Forum at Kid Mason Center. It is going
      to be very informative and could have a positive influence on how
      Tampa and Hillsborough County look at the impacts of development.

      I attended the planning session last Thursday, Feb 3, and am
      impressed with how well it is going. At least five SCOPA-type
      anthropologists were there.

      If I had not mislaid my notes I could give you more information, but
      here are some highlights, pending a more formal report from Wendy:

      The Mayor's Committee on Development of the Central Avenue Area
      (something like that!) said that they would be putting out a "Request
      For Qualifications" (RFQ) within a few weeks. That means asking
      developers to submit their ideas on what they think could be done in
      the area and roughly how they would go about doing it. I have two
      anthropological comments on that: (a) SCOPA-type anthropologists
      should be hired by potential developers to help them design a plan to
      improve the lot of the current residents there, or at least they
      should include anthropological consultation in their plans. (b) The
      Mayor's Committee ... should have SCOPA-type anthropologists on the
      team that will review the incoming responses to the RFQ.

      I urge each of you to become involved in this forum. The four
      committees working on the details are: Reaseach Information &
      Programs; Food, Arrangements, and Logistics; Outreach, Public
      Relations & Communications; and Follow-up. Inquiries to this SCOPA
      Yahoo Group will reach Wendy Hathaway, who appears to be the co-
      ordinating scribe. She might also respond to this SCOPA Yahoo Group
      with corrections and additions to my little report here.

      I believe this Central Avenue Area Community Impact Assessment Forum
      can have impacts beyond this area and this event. The Follow-up
      Committee could perhaps make sure its potential impacts are realized.
      It is time we pushed for community/social impact assessment for all
      developments.

      Nine of the seventeen members on these committees are
      anthropologists, and six of those are subscribers to the SCOPA Yahoo
      Group.

      Let's use this SCOPA Yahoo Group and our involvement in this upcoming
      Feb 19 Forum to make sure it happens.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2005
        Following are several notes about important and interesting events,
        including Saturday's Forum. --Alvin

        Subject: meeting Friday with Stan Hyland

        Stan Hyland will arrive this afternoon. He is speaking tonight at
        USF Bioscience auditorium at 7 PM.
        Subject: THURSDAY -- Stan Hyland-Urban Anthropology and
        Engaged Scholarship

        Engaged Scholarship in Urban Community Building

        A presentation by

        Dr. Stan Hyland, Director of the School of Urban Affairs and Public
        Policy, University of Memphis.

        Thursday, February 17, 2005

        *BSF 100

        7-9 PM

        Prof. Hyland has had extensive experience in linking university
        resources with local activists and public officials involved with
        planning and implementing neighborhood revitalization in Memphis. He
        has developed a model system for utilizing research and data in
        service to the needs of the larger community. His work has earned
        him major awards, including the Praxis Award for applied
        anthropology, the Harold Love Outstanding Community Involvement
        Award, and a HUD Best Practices Award for his project "Memphis
        Maps." His presentation will examine the meaning of "engaged
        scholarship" and offer a discussion of how the work he has done in
        Memphis might be applicable to community researchers at USF.

        Sponsored by the USF Collaborative for Children, Families &
        Communities; USF CAS Community Initiative; USF Dept. of Anthropology.

        *Bio-science auditorium, located west of Admin adjacent to the Bio-
        Science building.

        The planning committee (for Saturday's Forum) will meet tomorrow
        (Friday) at Kid Mason Center, 1101 N. Jefferson, 10 AM. Stan Hyland
        will attend the meeting. The work that he has done in Memphis,
        especially the role of the University of Memphis in coordinating
        useful information and research, offers a model for the kind of
        ongoing partnerships we hope will develop from the forum.

        AGENDA for the Planning Meeting

        I. Review of final agenda/program for the forum

        II. Subcommittee reports: arrangements; research/information;
        publicity; follow up

        III. Stan's role and ideas for follow up

        THE FORUM ITSELF is on SATURDAY:

        USF Collaborative for Children, Families, & Communities
        Neighborhoods & Communities Working Group

        What: A community meeting to discuss the potential impacts of
        redevelopment and relocation when Central Park Village is
        demolished.

        When: Saturday January ??, 2004
        11:00 am – 2:00 pm

        Where: Kid Mason Center
        1101 N Jefferson Avenue
        Tampa, FL 33602

        Agenda Welcome & Introduction 11:00-11:15 am

        Central Park redevelopment;
        issues and possible impacts 11:15-12:00 pm

        In the above period, USF researchers will briefly outline possible
        impacts on services, transportation, job and school continuity,
        health care access, business transitions, housing availability, etc.
        Actual list and sequence of topics remains to be determined.

        Lunch 12:00-1:00 pm

        Lunch will provide a chance for participants to
        talk informally about issues and thoughts about solutions to
        potential problems. Tables will be identified with particular issue
        areas to facilitate common interests.

        Break-out & Reporting 1:00-2:00 pm

        This will be a small group discussion based on
        issue area interests, who will talk about past experiences and
        possible solutions for about 20 minutes. The last half hour will
        involve group reports and plans for follow up.

        The above is a reconstruction of what was planned; these ideas are
        subject to change.
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
          Hey, SCOPA members! The Central Park Area Community Forum on
          Saturday was a great event. I honestly believe it was the beginning
          of a long-term positive dialogue among public agency "bureaucrats,"
          nonprofit representatives, and residents. It will make for much
          improved neighborhood development, not just for Central Park Village
          and its environs but for a much wider area, perhaps all of Tampa and
          Hillsborough County. And, what makes me proud is that
          anthropologists from USF and SCOPA played leadership, generative, and
          brokerage roles.

          Memphis anthropologist Stan Hyland, whom Susan Greenbaum had invited
          in as one already experienced in this kind of effort, did a marvelous
          job of helping to ease the relations among these separate players.
          He uses a metaphor that has the community residents using a three-
          legged stool to boost their own capabilities, the legs being the
          public bureaucrats, the academic scholars, and the nonprofit service
          agencies. The relationships among all these components represent a
          knowledge base that, in each neighborhood, can be used to increase
          the quality of life for all the participants.

          New technologies, electronic databases and geographic information
          systems, make it possible to recognize the community assets, in
          neighborhoods targeted for rehabilitation or destruction and for
          neighborhoods into which relocated households might move.

          Recording those community assets alone is not an end in itself. It
          is important disseminate the information to those who will use it, to
          the residents themselves who must decide what options they can
          exercise – should they stay or should they leave, should they fight
          for their own neighborhood or should they elect to move out and if so
          where?

          Dr. Hyland described the efforts they have made, and are still
          making, in Memphis to collect and disseminate such valuable
          information to residents. They tried establishing resource centers
          in local neighborhoods, but nobody came. They tried information
          kiosks spread widely in neighborhoods, again with disappointing
          results. Now they are trying to work through the middle schools,
          combining the ideas that children are adept at electronic
          communication, and children are connected to families that need all
          the kinds of information that are in this knowledge base that is
          being developed by public agencies, nonprofit agencies and academic
          institutions.

          I am just giving you some of my informal reactions to the Forum.
          Hopefully other SCOPA members will add their comments via this SCOPA
          YahooGroup. And, later, I hope the official recorders of the forum
          will share their more full and more formal records with us through
          this SCOPA YahooGroup. Finally, I hope that our anthropological
          input continues at a high level.