Tune in to the WMNF Anthropology show!

  • Bird, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2005

      Dear Anthro friends:

      I wanted to let everyone know that this Friday, January 28, Department members will be doing a pilot, 1-hour program on WMNF radio, which MIGHT become a regular offering. The idea is to show how anthropological perspectives, especially applied anthro, can contribute to the understanding of and solutions for current social and cultural issues.

      The program will air at 1:05 p.m. on Friday, WMNF 88.5 – you can listen online at wmnf.org. It will be live, with the opportunity to call-in, so if anyone is moved to call (disguised as a non-anthropological member of the public perhaps!), that would help us get noticed.

      The format will be me as host, with this week’s guests being Lorena Madrigal on evolution, Susan Greenbaum on Central Park redevelopment, and David Himmelgreen on obesity, especially nutritional issues for recent immigrants. If we get invited back to do more shows, we will widen the guest list to include other academic anthros in Florida, as well as practicing anthros, including of course our own alumni.

      I am excited about this opportunity to further our outreach mission and to get the anthropological voice into the public sphere – so please tune in, call WMNF, and show your support!

      Liz Bird

      S. Elizabeth Bird

      Professor and Chair: Department of Anthropology

      University of South Florida

      SOC 107

      4202 E. Fowler Ave.

      Tampa, FL 33620