454Save the Date: 12/2!

    Nov 2, 2011

      Text Box:
FICS Board of Directors2011-2013Tony Jenkins, ChairVanessa Vazquez, Vice-ChairLarry Aiello, ComptrollerJustin Dees, JDMatilda GarciaCarlton LewisMaria Antonieta Riveros-RevelloPablo SierraAlvin Wolfe, PhD

      Press Release

      For Immediate Release:         November 2, 2011

      Contact Person:                       Alayne Unterberger, 813.477.2882

      Town n Country’s Every Day Heroes of the Future, Keynoted by Community Leader Bob Conigliaro

      Tampa:  Florida Institute for Community Studies, Inc. (FICS) has had the honor to serve as a site for the Prodigy Cultural Arts Program, serving between 500 and 600 at-risk youth and their families per year.  December 2011 has been designated as Prodigy Month.  Our theme this year is “Everyday Heroes of the Future: Town n Country in 2050” and we will host a  a Showcase of Talent showing what is RIGHT with in the community on FRIDAY Dec 2, 2011 from 6:30 to 8:30 PM at the Town n Country Recreation Center, 6039 Hanley Road, Tampa FL  33634.

      The press and public are invited to join us as about one hundred performers aged 7 to 17 from our various programs will link their “everyday hero” powers to their talents in capoeira,  breakdance, art and latin drums.  Our keynote speaker is Mr. Bob Conigliaro, Vice President of Caspers Company McDonald’s Restaurants, who wowed our youth and families at 2008’s FICS Youth Summit.  We are very excited to hear about his view of “everyday heroes.”

      FICS is a nine year old, award winning* non-profit . Our mission is to partner with communities to help them achieve their goals through research, service, education and training. In Town n Country, FICS has made great strides at the community level to prevent gangs, bullying, substance abuse and other problems.  Prodigy  utilizes the arts afterschool to help teach youth 7-17 about making healthy choices.

      Please call ahead to 813.249.8100.  The Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS) is a statewide non-profit dedicated to partnering with communities to help them achieve their goals through research, services, education and training.

      * FICS is the 2011 winner of Be More Brilliant Award (for Innovation) from WEDU TV

      * FICS was named 2011 What’s Right About Tampa Bay by Fox 13 TV

      * FICS was named 2011 Best of the Bay Multicultural Mentors by Creative Loafing

      Alayne Unterberger, PhD Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS) PO Box 16745 Tampa FL 33687 813.249.8100 Community. Activism. Research. Education.