364RE: [SCOPA] Applied Anthropological work with a Community Organization

  • Greenbaum, Susan
    Sep 7, 2009

      To Cristinarosa

      From: Nolan Kline [mailto:nskline@...]
      Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 4:46 PM
      To: Greenbaum, Susan
      Subject: Re: [SCOPA] Applied Anthropological work with a Community Organization

      Absolutely!  How do I send my response?  I've copied it below, but should I email it to the SCOPA group?

      There are several organizations in Central Florida that can certainly use more volunteers.

      If you’re interested in homelessness, there’s an organization in Orlando called the Ripple Effect, which provides food, clothing, and support to homeless men and women.  In Orlando , it is actually illegal to give food to the homeless, but the Ripple Effect has an arrangement with the city to provide food for people under an I-4 overpass every Saturday morning at 6:00 am. They always need volunteers and can be reached at (407) 841-3722‎.   Along the same lines is Coalition for the Homeless, which is a homeless shelter that often needs staff and volunteers.  Their website is http://www.centralfloridahomeless.org/.

      If you’re interested in aging studies, Jewish Family Services runs an apartment complex for people ages 62 an older called Kinnert.  Their website is http://www.kinneretapartments.com/.  Several UCF students have volunteered here and have organized events for them in the past.

      If you’re interested in issues regarding farmworkers, migrant labor, or environmental justice, there’s the Farmworker Association of Florida.  This organization is one I’m very close with, and it’s full of amazing staff members.  I’d suggest contacting Jeannie Economos at 407-886-5151 or at farmworkerassoc@....

      There’s also an organization called the BETA Center , which provides high school classes and simultaneous daycare facilities for high school age mothers.  This particular organization is a little more careful with whom they let volunteer, and I don’t know anyone there personally, but I’ve heard good things about their staff and I know they often need help, too.

      Hope this helps!

      Nolan Kline