15Re: [SCOPA] Greenbaum et al. in Tribune re Tampa Development

    Feb 3, 2004
      Hey everyone, thanks for passing this information on to those of us who run around too much.

      I only "scanned" 10 or so of the "leaders." It seems like everyone quoted was saying the same thing: do SOMETHING in this area.  But the question is: what?  The whole idea of asking the residents and working in conjunction with diverse stakeholders seems lost in this discussion.  Even a Social Impact Assessment, which I read as a suggestion in Bridget's notes, was not a specific recommendation.  Fred Hearns wants some sort of community center, someone else said Veritas not Civitas, but if not Civitas, then what?  The lack of imagination and innovation seems to be our worst enemy here.  It's kind of like, "well, we know that Civitas exists and has "worked" (how well is irrelevant) elsewhere so let's just do that."  This thinking is so common in Tampa Bay.  As proof of this, I submit two local examples that were both based on the "success" of CocoWalk in Miami: BayWalk and Centro Ybor.  Hopefully BayWalk won't have to have the city of St Pete bail it out like we are doing with Centro Ybor.

      Again, I really think we need to really advocate for the social impact assessment and getting the leadership to offer up some other examples, not just this "one size fits all" approach that is so common today.

      At 09:59 PM 2/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      The Tampa Tribune of February 1 publishes the views of something like
      twenty-five persons, including Professor Greenbaum.  See at:
      http://www.tampatrib.com/News/commentary.shtml
      --Alvin Wolfe

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Alayne Unterberger, MA
      Executive Director, Florida Institute for Community Studies, Inc.
      Main contact: (813) 477-2882 (cell) or (813) 248-3427 (248.FICS) (office)
      FAX: (813) 248-3230    E-mail: alayne@...    Website: www.ficsinc.org
      Cesar Chavez:
      "It's ironic that those who till the soil, cultivate and harvest the fruits, vegetables, and other foods that fill your tables with abundance have nothing left for themselves."

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic