ethernet cable/accessories?

  • Ajay
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hey folks,

      I was wondering if there are any techies out there that could help
      me. I wanted to run some cat5/6 cable through the house, and I know I can
      get 1000ft of cat5 from ~$55+, but I'm trying to cut down costs right now.

      So I'm wondering if anyone could lend me the tools to do this? or better
      yet, maybe someone who has excess cabling and ends around could whip me up a
      200-300 ft long section of cat5 and sell it to me at a reasonable price?
      (Or if you know of good local retaillers?)
      (Unlike the prices I find online which I tend to find a little expensive..)

      Thanks in advance!
      tata,
      -Ajay

      (Hm, just looked more closely and noticed the cat5 i saw says unshielded,
      that might be too cheap quality for what I want to do..?)

      --
      Milpitas, ca listsATatothetorg HempVille, Planet Oz
      http://AToTheT.org/
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
        Ajay,

        Check with companies that demolish buildings. They may be recovering older
        ethernet cables.

        Regards

        On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Ajay <lists@...> wrote:

        > Hey folks,
        >
        > I was wondering if there are any techies out there that could help
        > me. I wanted to run some cat5/6 cable through the house, and I know I can
        > get 1000ft of cat5 from ~$55+, but I'm trying to cut down costs right now.
        >
        > So I'm wondering if anyone could lend me the tools to do this? or better
        > yet, maybe someone who has excess cabling and ends around could whip me up
        > 200-300 ft long section of cat5 and sell it to me at a reasonable price?
        > (Or if you know of good local retaillers?)
        > (Unlike the prices I find online which I tend to find a little expensive..)
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        > tata,
        > -Ajay
        >
        > (Hm, just looked more closely and noticed the cat5 i saw says unshielded,
        > that might be too cheap quality for what I want to do..?)
        >
        > --
        > Milpitas, ca listsATatothetorg HempVille, Planet Oz
        > http://AToTheT.org/

      • ToprakA
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
          Another idea:

          Check with Weird Stuff in Sunnyvale. They may have salvaged cables.

          Their number is 1-408-743-5650 .

        • lists@atothet.org
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2009
            Hey folks thanks for the responses.

            First..
            I wanted to get a section of ~100 ft ethernet that didn't have ends
            on it, which I got some resources for from ya'll. (However a few of the
            people that sold it that contacted me never replied to my replies! Eh.. :)

            However,
            My bigger problem is that I'll need the crimper/tester/etc to make the
            ethernet cable once I've snaked it around the house. Does anyone have any
            of these tools I can borrow, or a store/etc that might be able to lend out?
            I'm happy to leave collateral/a deposit, of course.

            TIA! -@

            --
            Ajta Milpitas, CA +1(408) 262-0959 resume-ing
            http://atothet.org/