Re: [SCBeemers] Garmin 2820 question

    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 25, 2009
      Funny you should ask... my 2820 is supposed to be delivered tonight, but since it's the same form factor as my 2610 I think I can answer your questions.

      Actually, I'll save myself the effort of typing it all again... see what I posted over on ADV rider.

      There is a RAM cradle available, but the Garmin one in the motorcycle kit is better (has a security screw to lock unit in place).  The wiring comes with the MC mount and is all you need, but that depends on how you've done accessory wiring.  My GPS is straight fused off the battery meaning I can run the 2610 with the bike on or off.  The benefit is that you can look up stuff on the GPS when off the bike.  Example:  You got your camp set up, and now you want to know if there's any good food around, or do you break out the cookware - just walk over and ask Bitchin' Betty.  The downside is that you can leave it on with the bike parked.  I have left my 2610 on for 48 hours and the curent draw is so low it doesn't really affect the charge on the bike's battery.  Since the 2XXX series do not have a battery it made the best sence to me.  If you want to use keyed power I'd probably set up a small relay to do that with.  The ZFE power computer on the 1200 bikes is a bit picky about parasitic current draw.

    • Randol Doug
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 14 4:07 PM
        I have made the trip a couple of times on the bike.  Iron Pony is a great store.  There is a good breakfast diner near Indian Lake just past Lakeview on the right hand side of US 33.

        Enjoy the trip.

        Doug