Breakfast Meeting, 6/14/2008, 9:00 am

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 10, 2008

      Date: Saturday June 14, 2008
      Time: 9:00 am - 10:00 am
      Repeats: This event repeats every month on the second Saturday.
      Next reminder: The next reminder for this event will be sent in 3 days.
      Location: Golden Corral
      Notes: Lima Road, just south of I69

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
        OK, I backed out on the Iowa Rally.  Reports have it that there is a LOT of standing water around the are and at the site.  I don't think it's going to be worth it.  See you all at breakfast.

        Who else is going to the RA?

        Date: Saturday June 14, 2008
        Time: 9:00 am - 10:00 am
        Repeats: This event repeats every month on the second Saturday.
        Next reminder: The next reminder for this event will be sent in 3 days.
        Location: Golden Corral
        Notes: Lima Road, just south of I69

        Edit reminder options

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008

          Date: Saturday June 14, 2008
          Time: 9:00 am - 10:00 am

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008

            To any interested I might go on a GS ride after the get-together.  I have some routes over by Warsaw I wanted to check out.

          • djkhunter@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 16, 2008
              It looked like ther may have been some bad weather up there in the U.P.   Sorry I missed breakfast (2nd month in a row) I was doing a 1500 mile IBA ride.  The ride was long but great.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 17, 2008
                Starts this thursday... Your a little early.  I ended up skipping on the Iowa rally due to the weather out there.

                Zach

                On 6/16/08, djkhunter@... <djkhunter@...> wrote:

                It looked like ther may have been some bad weather up there in the U.P.   Sorry I missed breakfast (2nd month in a row) I was doing a 1500 mile IBA ride.  The ride was long but great.

                .

              • Matt Moran
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 21, 2008

                  Zach,

                  At the breakfast you showed me what you did for your RAM mount on your GPS so you need a tool to remove it.  I don’t remember what you said you used as I think I would like to get rid of the big locking knob as well.  It would make everything fit some much better.  If you don’t mind I would like to know what you used.

                  Thanks,

                  Matt

                  Checked by AVG.

                • steve tumbleson

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 23, 2008
                          My trip was a bit different.  I left wed morning and met Greg and Harry north of Lansing.  We rode DNR trails in the LP that day.  Lots of sand, and we all dropped at least twice.  Thursday we road many miles of rail grade in the UP in the rain.  It was pretty solid, but had soem serious whoops and sand in them to boot.  I kept it upright all day I think but Harry had a spectacular get-off and bent his widshield hoop a bit.  We pulled into the rally in the early evening and hung out that evening.  The next day we ran the self-guided GS ride given by the rally folks.  It was a good ride.  No drops that day for anyone - I think my ability in sand went up a lot.  I hit dinner that evening with the Detroit club up at the Harbor Haus and then we ran the coastline home.  Saturday we rode some of the most gnarly stuff I've had the chance to ride - we rode the snowmobile trail from Houghton to Copper Harbor.  Whoops, Sand, Mud, Holes, Rock Fields, Steep rock climbs and decents, Water, you name the terrain and we rode it.  At Copper Harbor we took the trail out off the end of 41 to the tip of the peninsula.  That was intense with rock step-shelves, rocky wash climbs, mud, sand, loose stone, and all kinds of nasty bits.

                          On the way back to the rally we took the coastline road again and then 5 mile point road.  Unfortunately our ride turned ugly at that point.  Greg hit a deer at about 50-60mph on his 1150GS.  He went down and slid/tumbled for about 30 feet.  His bike was probably totalled if you asked the insurance comany, but he's planning on repairing it.  It was not ridable, smashed valve cover and clutch was smashed.  There was a fair bit of other damage too, but a lot was cosmetic.  Greg walked away sore and with a swollen hand.  His Aerostitch got torn up pretty good but it saved his hide.  Hit helmet got whacked good and ground on the pavement.  He had put on his heavier Gerbing winter gloves about 3 miles up the road after they had one hole in them.  ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) saved his ass quite well.

                          His bike is still up in Houghton and he's back in Detroit.  We stashed all of his camping stuff and he rode home as a passenger.  His plan is to pick it up sometime this week with a trailer.  Kind of a lousing ending to an otherwise great rally.  He wasn't the only guy to hit a deer.  One other detroit club guy hit a deer and ripped the bag off his K1200RS.  No other issues on that one.  Another detoit guy had a breakdown so they are actually picking up 2 bikes.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 24, 2008
                            Zach and Steve

                            Thanks for the RA updates. I am very happy that Greg came out of the deer wreck without much personal injury.  I had what I thougt was a couple of close calls with deer in the last two weeks but 20 feet does not compare with an impact. It did sound like you all had a good time up to that point.

                            David K