Chicken Rally

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2011
      FYI,

      I am headed to the "Rocket City" Rally in Huntsville Alabama. This is
      also known as the "Great Chicken" rally. Like all BMW rallies it's
      pretty laid back. It's over memorial day weekend, and I plan to leave
      the Thursday before and probably be back on Monday (rally ends on
      Sunday). Basic plan is to slab it down there on Thursday (it's 9
      hours if you're diligent int he saddle), then ride local fun (like
      local dirt roads) and then meander our way home Sunday and Monday.
      Running the Northern sections of the Natchex trace back to Nashville
      is a nice route, but there's no real plan yet. I'll be riding down
      with Greg Crago from the BMW Touring Club of Detroit. He and I like
      to find the dirt when we have time, but don't think that means that's
      the only option. There is a lot of good pavement there, and fun
      places to visit. 24hour BBQ, some live music in the evenings, and
      just a lot of good camaraderie. I've not been since 2006, but it's
      always been probably my favorite rally.

      Official blurb follows:

      May 26 - 29, 2011
      23rd “Great Chicken Rally in Rocket City”
      BMW Motorcycle Owners of Alabama #5
      event: 23rd Annual "Great Chicken Rally in Rocket City"
      club: BMW Motorcycle Owners of Alabama - Club #5
      dates: 05/26/2011 - 05/29/2011
      directions: At Ditto Landing, Huntsville, AL. on Hobbs Island Rd., ¼ mi.
      north of Tennessee River off US Hwy 231.

      3 nights camping, Smoked BBQ pork and sides Thurs. evening, pancakes
      Fri & Sat. morning, Continental breakfast Sun. morning, Smoked chicken
      and sides for Friday Dinner, Sat. lunch and Dinner. Free coffee, tea,
      water, and lemonade throughout the rally and free popcorn and peanuts
      at night to enjoy with the live music, as long as the volunteers hold
      out. Rally pin, rally gift, and a chicken key chain to the first 600
      arrivals. Over 100 Door prizes, standard rally awards, vendors,
      seminars, 3 nights live entertainment, all for $45 rally fee.

      Vintage bike show with awards to be given. Make arrangements with the
      current rally chair at rally@...

      NEW THIS YEAR!! Mayberry's Sherpa Service will set up. Hotel Services
      for the Camper. Please go to www.SherpaMayberry.com to make your
      reservation and have your tent set up and ready for you when you
      arrive. Same great service as at the Nationals.

      PLEASE NO PETS THIS YEAR !!! EARLY ARRIVALS BEFORE THURSDAY MUST PAY
      THE CAMPGROUND THEIR REGULAR FEE.

      Children 6 to 12, $20...under 6 free.

      Day passes ONLY on Sat., $25.

      Raffling new BMW 2011 G650 GS Sat. evening.

      Tickets $5 and are available NOW - Contact rally@...

      Self guided tour maps to Barber's Motor Sports track and Museum, Jack
      Daniel's Distillery, Unclaimed Baggage store, and self guided "Great
      roads" rides will be available at registration. NO RV SLOTS LEFT WITH
      HOOK UPS IN MAIN CAMPGROUND. Additional RV sites, if you are self
      contained, are in the side camp area at no extra cost. Vendors please
      reserve space ahead with Connie Reaves, BamaBMW@... , or check
      Club website www.BMWMOAL.org

      Please make checks payable to BMW MOAL

      And mail pre-registrations to: