Re: [SCBeemers] Woodsons

  • Matthew Moran
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 27, 2010
      Well the only way anyone would sell anything is because they have some incentive to do so.  I just don't have time to do all the wrenching I used to do and don't like the idea of having to go 2-3 hours to get anything done.

      matt

      On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Zach Leahy <leahyz@...> wrote:

      It sounds to me like they have some incentive to stay selling BMWs.  Either the owner said that's what he wants, or BMW NA is helping convince them to keep the dealership.  Everything that I heard was that they couldn't wait to get "the damn things off the floor".  I'd like to see them get back into it, but they need to go back in with a different attitude.  Just because I ride a BMW does not make me a cash cow.

      However, after my experience with them last time (Mike shouting at me and throwing me out of the store when I suggest a 3 week wait for a 20 minute job is not reasonable) I'd have a tough time giving them any of my money.

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 30, 2010

        I would look for a tent that is free standing with a vestibule, rain fly, collapsible poles, taped seams and bathtub floor.

        Look for a tent with a brand name and do some research on the net when you find the one you like.  I’ve owned tents made by Eureka, Coleman, Wards, and Sears (Hillary brand).  Except for the changes in designs, improved waterproofing, and stitches, most are comparable in quality and workmanship for the period purchased.  If I was to purchase a replacement tent for my current Coleman it would include a bathtub floor.

        Get a plastic drop cloth to put underneath your tent to keep from water and condensation from enter though the floor.

        I use larger spike type tent pegs instead of the wire tent pegs/hooks that come with the tent – just hold up better, generally won’t bent, and you can use your foot to drive them in.  You can buy these at any place that carries Coleman camping gear, they come four to a package.

        Sportsman’s World, Gander Mountain, Dick’s, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabbalas all carry tents at a good price.

        Camping Supplies.

        I’ve camped over thirty years in the service, scouts, and family.  One thing I’ve learned is to pack light, even when you have lots of room for stuff you think you need, and chances are you end up not using after all.  My camping supplies were purchased at either Walmart, Sears, garage sale, flea market, or a camping outlet – see above.

        Camp stove.  I’ve used a single burner stove, both with liquid and prepacked fuel canisters.  Walmart sells a nice one burner stove that isn’t much larger than a small camp coffee pot (foot print).  Maybe the size of an external drive.

        Cook set pots/utensils.  A cook set made for back packing is a great size for bike camping.  Normally includes one cup, pot with cover, plate/pan and nestles inside of each other, comes with it’s own cloth/nylon carrying case.  I’ve bought one from a surplus (Play It Again) store and another from a flea market.  Plus I’ve got another from when my son was a scout (that one, again, bought from Play It Again).  GI Joe’s in Fort Wayne carries flatware that doubles as cooking utensils, just make sure they are either maker US, made of heavy steel, and are US military surplus (the other stuff may be made in China); or the East/West German military flatware – it’s stainless steel.  The German stuff has a built in can/bottle opener incorporated in the storage handle.  The East German cook pot doubles for cooking and eating – cook you soup and eat it right out of the pot, the lid doubles as a plate/pan, some come with an insert that also doubles as a plate, or small bowel.  Bought several for reenacting, two at flea markets for under $10 bucks, normally higher off e-Bay.  A collapsible East German cook stove that used solid fuel is available from GI Joes for about $3 bucks… the cost of the fuel is kind of high if you can find it – or sticks and twigs’ for heating up soup, coffee (I used on in German once, a c-ration can cut up made just as good a cook stove).

        Collapsible wash bowel.  I didn’t use one, the shower point was close at hand, but you may want one to freshen up away from the camp site with water.  Otherwise I had a small wash basin that wouldn’t fit inside my side cases, but could in the top case (with stuff packed in side the basin).  In-lue-of a wash bowel, baby wipes, or other wipes, are just as good for a fresh-up, or even clean-up before eating, after changing a tire, or cleaning your visor.

        Travel size personal hygiene items.  For a $1 you can buy these items anywhere and throw away the unused portion at the end of the ride… or keep it.  Liquid soap/body wash is great as you don’t have to have both soap and shampoo.  All in one.  I always keep some extra in my gear for work for staying in a hotel that doesn’t have supplies – or take what I didn’t use for another day… cheaper yet.

        Light weight/space blanket.  Unless you are camping where it’s really cold, a weight blanket or space blanket works for me.  I used a disposable blanket my wife got from a vendor, or bought someplace, when I went to the Rally.  It worked.  You wet weather gear can double to keep you warm it the blanket isn’t enough.

        Sleeping bag.  If you need something better, I would go with the current issue military surplus.  These cost more than you may want to pay, but they are the best.  Three bags in one.  There is the outer shell that’s for summer cool nights, the first inner for spring and fall nights, and when you put the third winter bag with the two previous ones (they all fit inside each other) you are good to -40 below.  All come in a nice compression bag that you can really get nice and tight.  The other option is going to a sporting goods store and buy a sleeping bag for each kind of weather you are planning to camp in overnight.

        Wet weather gear.  Gortex, or H2O (Gander Mountain), are my choice.  I’ve used both, have both.  One is more expensive than the other, but both give you the same protection from the elements.  Depending on what you wear underneath, you can use these as a cold weather suit instead of buying and extra driving suit.  My Gortex is military, and you can get it in either military or civilian colors.  The H2O is a fishing suit with bibs… stays nice a dry with water proof pockets for my wallet and cell phone.  About half the price of Gortex.

        Flashlights.  Led flashlights are the way to go.  I’ve got a Coleman three cell “AA” that has both led and incandescent bulbs.  The incandescent bulb doesn’t light up anymore due to the batteries being low, but the leds are just a bright as they were three years ago – bought a Meijer’s sporting goods, clearance items.  Auto Zone is carrying led flashlights two for $5, four bulbs, “AA”, and in colors to match you bike as long as it’s blue, red, silver, black.  Nice throw away made of aluminum, push button on/off, looks like a Maglight, just cheaper in price.  Just incase you batteries do go bad, a few chemical light sticks would be a good idea, $2 bucks for one/two packages depending on where you buy… they do have a shelf life, so you could store them in the freezer between camp outs.

        First aid kit.  There a several personal first aid kits that include a mask for mouth-to-mouth and rubber gloves for bio-hazards.  Price is under $10 bucks, or free if you are on a foreign line carrier’s engine (just kidding… plus they take up too much space).

        Accessory cable/socket.  Make sure you get one of these for you bike to charge you cell phone, tire pump, cpap machine, or mattress pump.  You can buy them from John Deer, cost about the same as from the after market at the BMW dealer.  This the BMW to cigarette socket cable.  I bought a double cigarette socket adapter (like you would use with your gps and radar detector in a car) for $5 bucks at a flea market to, what else, charge two things at once.  All are well worth the cost.

        Jumper cable.  Get, or make, a set of jumper cables for your bike.  I believe Zack said that he made a set for his bike at one of the breakfasts.  I bought mine from Terry’s years ago, just haven’t seen it since 1996.

        Power inverter.  See accessory cable/socket above as you will need this unless you connect strait to the battery posts.  Nice to have item, and now they are smaller than ever.

        Plastic baggies, zip ties, Velcro straps, rip cord, Walmart bags and duct tape.  All have their uses, and in an emergency will fix a problem, mix pudding, and hang stuff from the tree so the forest pets don’t get into it.  The rip cord may be easier to find than you think, check the sporting goods, camping section of Walmart, Meijer’s, any place that carries camping gear in the accessory section.  I use the reusable Walmart (Kroger, Earth Friends) bag for hauling my personal hygiene items (after those Mar(something or other) Insurance bags went missing after I returned home from the Rally), helmet, dirty clothes, clean clothes… whatever you need to haul and hang up when you get to where you are going – like the shower.  Cheap, available everywhere recycling and going green is advertised – at the checkout lane normally.

        Case liners.  I bought two American Tourister under the seat carry on bags at TJ Max.  Just the right size to fit the LT side cases, or the top case… $9 each.  If it wasn’t for my CD changer in the right side case I would have bought three.

        Alright, I may have got carried away but I was waiting for to mark-off so I could have a few days home before the weekend rolls around, and now I see it’s almost 10am… so it’s time to depart and get some painting done.

        Hope you got some use out of this.

        Branko

      • Branko
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 6, 2010
          Last time at Woodson the place hadn't changed much from the previous visit.

          No work had begun other than the demo of the old parts desk and jet skis being stored there... The parts desk was now back where the salesmen desks were at and not much else.

          The web sight is just as bad, no new information on bikes just the same old link to BMW and "under construction".

          Even the link to the tires and parts are a bust.

          I drive by there several times a week and there is just nothing going on that you can see different through the windows.

          BMW still has Woodson as a dealer on there web sight... along with a few others close by. I didn't memorize the ones posted, but they were the same ones of old.

          If I'm in town on Saturday for breakfast I plan on stopping there afterwards. Last few weekends I've spent them in Chicago, I would say that this weekend will be no different.

          Take care.

          Branko
        • fpavko@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 7, 2010
            My purchase date is March/April. On Monday I placed my information on the BMW web site. That information was forwarded to Woodson. No response as yet but this is only Thursday morning.

            Frank
            Celina, OH

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "Branko" <nined2yk@...>
            Sender: SCBeemers@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 02:38:54 -0000
            To: <SCBeemers@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: SCBeemers@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [SCBeemers] Re: Woodsons

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 7, 2010
              Certainly consider the initial purchase from other dealers as well.  When Mike got yelling at me and threw me out of the store he demonstrated no customer service or customer loyalty.  When I called BMW of SE Michigan on the same issue they handled it quickly.  I had to make the trip up there, but in the end I was very pleased by the way they treated me.

              I knew some of the staff at BMWSEM before I ever dropped a dime there becasue they are active in the BMW community.  They come to club events, they host specials for club members, and make a point to be friends rather than just dealership employees.  I remember they gave me a T-shirt just for being at the RA Rally in Houghton with the Detroit BMW club before I ever spent a dime in the store.  I had spent the day off roading with one of the staff memebers and they realized we knew a thing or two about our bikes - in fact we knew MORE about her GS than she did.

              When the speed sensor went out on my GS this last time and Woodson said it would be 3 weeks MINIMUM to get it replaced that's not working with me.  The three weeks is becasue they only have service available once a week which is pretty abysmal.  When I suggested that I had already diagnosed it, they didn't even want to listen to me.  At BMWSEM I called them and they treated me like I actually KNEW what I was talking about.  It's easy to tell that I know what I'm talking about since they know the product line extremely well.  They pre-ordered the part after a short conversation and didn't even want me to pay for it as a hold (until the warranty company re-imbursement) because we were both confident of the diagnosis.  When I got there they handled the repair how I had hoped they would and EVERYONE was happy in the end.
              Sure Detroit is a much larger customer base but BMWSEM is a GREAT example of how to run a dealership.  It's not suprising they are one of the top sales dealers in the country.  If you haven't visited them, it's worth the trip.

            • Francis
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 19, 2010
                Submitted a request for dealer contact on BMW Motorad web site three weeks ago yesterday. They listed "Woodsons" as my local dealer and forwarded my request to them. Have not been contacted as yet and at this point don't expect to be. Sent another request but this time specified "Ohio Motorcycle" just west of Columbus. Took them four days and they followed up with email. Now, hopefully, I can sort out what model best suits my needs. R12RT, R12R, F800ST currently in the mix.

                Francis Pavolko
                Celina, OH