Re: [SCBeemers] Re: Woodsons

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 24, 2010

      Not suprised they are dropping the BMW line.  There was no desire from them to keep it at all.  I never saw them try to promote them and the same stock sometimes seemed to sit on the floor a while.  I compare that to BMW of SE Michigan where there are BMW bike everywhere you look - either for sale or customer bikes in for service, and there are a bunch of BMW techs, and a bunch of staff that love BMWs.  No wonder they sell more of them...

      As far as what to do for a potential owner.  Well I can say this for me - the loss of a local dealer will have little impact on me personally.  I am going to have to travel a bit farther for extended waranty claims like I did this spring.  Sure, it's a PITA but it is few and far between.  For me I'll web-order parts and do the work myself becasue I trust ME as the mechanic more than anyone else.  I've seen even the best mechanics get rushed and missed something, and it's just an inconvenience to have to go back and get it fixed again.

      Right now both of our BMWs are quite reliable and really have no issues.  It's mostly maintnance and the occasional farkle, and any small fix needed.  I don't have a BMW computer, but I've never really needed one either.  I have thought about buying a GS911, but I have access to one if needed as well (aftermarket BMW computer scan tool).

      If I were an owner that didn't do my own work, I'd either get a really good relationship going with another dealer, or I'd consider a different marque.

      As always, I'll gladly help change a set of tires for someone, or do a service, or whatever you need help with.  My goal in helping people is to teach them how to do it so you can take care of yourself.

    • Tim Vance
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 24, 2010
        Thanks for the info.

        I think the situation with Woodsons and BMW is just deplorable. Before Woodsons opened (in their original location), I interviewed for Sales Manager with Mike and their 'money guy' from out east. I knew when I left that first interview that, given their business model, this BMW dealership would follow the same path as Ehlerdings, Hoffys (in Huntington) and all the other long lost BMW dealerships........start out with lots of flourish and promises......and then just fold up their tents and leave. Their 'money guy' had the persistent notion that it would be the perfect segue to bring some 'Mini's' (new at the time) from one of their dealerships out east to augment the BMW motorcycles. At the time, I pointed out that BMW motorcycle buyers were NOT necessarily BMW car buyers. I opined that they were completely separate things. It all became pretty much a moot point for them when they abandoned BMW (and their good location) to focus on the sell-em-once sportbike crowd.

        Anyway.....
        I feel kind of left hanging 'out there' too when it comes to parts and service. I bought my current K1200LT from Grand Rapids and I have to admit, they have been very good to me. My last service came in significantly less than what Woodsons quoted.
        Like most others, I prefer OEM parts (or at least a PREMIUM alternative), so for parts it seems we are all down to mail order.
        As far as service? I know I am good for quite a while.....but it would be nice to have a professional BMW wrench around to back me up and fix what I cannot.
        And tires? My LT needs new skins in the worst way. I checked with Woodsons on the rear and was quoted some astronomical price of over $300 for just the rear tire...I honestly thought they were joking with me. Then I checked Indy....and THEIR tire / installation prices were about the same. $600-$700 for both tires for my LT? No way. So I called Blaine at Grand Rapids......still expensive, but about $200 less. Just for kicks I also called Jim Joy Cycle Repair (he was the wrench for Terrys Cycle Sales in Ossian back in the day)...........and he quoted me around $250 for the rear tire (pretty much full boat list) but only $20 to mount and balance if I took it off the bike and brought it to him.
        Considering that I have 1006 miles on a plugged back tire.....I am going to have to get off the fence pretty soon and decide which way to go.

        The whole situation has been so disheartening that my wife and I even went so far as to look into what it would take to open a REAL BMW dealership. Their financial requirements put it out of our reach, but I seriously hope that SOMEONE can step up and make it happen. There are a lot of loyal BMW people out here that would actually support a dealership that would support us. With BMW's expansion in the marketplace I believe that sooner or later things HAVE to get better.

        I remember the WTF moment when I bought my last GS from Ehlerding, only to be told a month later that they were 'out of the BMW business'. I imagine there are a bunch of people that had to go through that same WTF moment about Woodsons.

        So much potential...........just wasted........

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 24, 2010
          have you tried Chicago BMW Branko?  I have had good luck with them, but have not had to get anything MAJOR.  I picked up some good shape used throttle parts from Galen Perry (Delphi) Twist handle, cam cam gear, cover (mine wore out at Trenton ON last week).  He has a 85K100RS that he reconditioned for sale.  Plus as, many know, trailers full of parts and he knows where they all are.

          Tom Anspach
          Ps http://tomsjourneys.shutterfly.com/1332  for my Return to Trenton pictures

          -----------Winamac, IN-------41 deg 3 min N ------- 86 deg 36 min W-------
          -It is good to have an END to  journey toward, but it is the JOURNEY that matters in the end.  / Ursula Le Guin-
          - My Blog:  http://ansplog.blogspot.com/  My pictures: http://tomsjourneys.shutterfly.com/-
          -email in/out scanned by AVG Free Edition.
          Version: 9.0.33 http://free.grisoft.com-
        • Francis
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 24, 2010
            Anyone have experience with Ohio Motorcycle BMW in Hilliard on the west side of Columbus? If Woodson drops the line, they seem to be my only reasonable option at just under 100 miles. Was looking at the purchase of a new r12r or rt in the spring but have started to work on plan "B". I have a serious problem however as I am not a cruiser kind of guy and limited to under 30" seat heigth.

            --- In SCBeemers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom EA" <tom42n@...> wrote:

            > have you tried Chicago BMW Branko? I have had good luck with them, but have not had to get anything MAJOR. I picked up some good shape used throttle parts from Galen Perry (Delphi) Twist handle, cam cam gear, cover (mine wore out at Trenton ON last week). He has a 85K100RS that he reconditioned for sale. Plus as, many know, trailers full of parts and he knows where they all are.
            >

            > Tom Anspach
            > Ps http://tomsjourneys.shutterfly.com/1332 for my Return to Trenton pictures
            >
            > -----------Winamac, IN-------41 deg 3 min N ------- 86 deg 36 min W-------
            > -It is good to have an END to journey toward, but it is the JOURNEY that matters in the end. / Ursula Le Guin-
            > - My Blog: http://ansplog.blogspot.com/ My pictures: http://tomsjourneys.shutterfly.com/-
            > -email in/out scanned by AVG Free Edition.
            > Version: 9.0.33 http://free.grisoft.com-

          • Branko
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 24, 2010
              I was going to say Chicago BMW was an option... but thought I was getting a little winded.

              Yeah, there are places to get parts... and the distance isn't too far (for me, I like to take a long drive on both two and four wheels).

              I can always do something in Indy with the family after going to the dealer there, or if it comes to getting work done that I'm not willing to do, or have the skill.

              There use to be a BMW guy just outside of Fort Wayne on the west side not far from North American... he worked on airheads, this was back in '87 or so... I don't recall his name, or the location, he worked out of his garage and had a ranch home - lots of BMW stuff laying around... found him thru the want ads selling a set of Krauser bags as I recall, already had a set on the R100T, just wanted to see what his were like.

              Once I get a deadhead to Chicago visiting the BMW shop there won't be a problem as most of my trains end up in Chicago several times a week...

              I use to get all of my filters from Capital Cycle for the R100T, mirror when it broke, luggage rack when it got damaged, and clutch cables too as they broke... the only thing I'm looking at in the near future is a set of tires and another filter for the winter oil change.

              And life goes on.
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 24, 2010

                I use to buy my tires from Dennis Kirk… when Dennis at Ehlerding’s heard me talking about the price of mail order tires compared to the dealer he said that you had to watch out for the tire maybe a second, or flat from being stored on it’s side… well, I never had a problem with either and was very happy with the ME33 and 99 that I ran on the R100T.  I still had the dealer install them, but at only 30 bucks back in the day – wasn’t too bad, but it was a lot of money when you were backing less than 5 bucks and hour at the state.

                I’m thinking to get my next tires from Kirk, they match all prices even if it’s only by a dollar, free shipping, so all you have to do is get them installed.

                Should have said that I’m going to do some online shopping and price checks, and then see if Kirk has the same tire in stock… they were good for five day delivery to Indiana.

                OK, got a train to catch in a few, so it’s time to hit the hay.

              • djkhunter@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 25, 2010
                  I have been thinking about getting a tent for me and my wife. What is everyones oppion on the best tent for motorcycle camping. Issues in my mind are packing it on the bike, putting it up and take down has to be effortless, size I have heard for 2 people you really need a 4 person tent.

                  Has anyone had experience with those Kermit chairs?  Any sugestions on chairs or other camping supplies for motorcycle camping?

                  Thanks,
                  David K.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 25, 2010
                    I'm not a big Dennis Kirk fan.  It's not worth my time if someone will match a price.  If someone else has a lower price - and is reputable - then I order from them.  I shop for the best price every time I buy tires becuase they are always changing.

                    Usually, but not Always, I find www.swmototires.com to have the best prices, but also sometimes www.tireexpress.com also has good deals.  I had good luck with both, and both ship free.  I've also ordered tires from http://www.chaparral-racing.com and http://www.tiresunlimited.com with good luck as well.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 25, 2010
                      My Opinions:

                      Tents:  Small tents pack great but offer limited living space.  Free-standing tents are very convenient because you can pick them up and move them, and the assembly is usually a cinch.  When I was single I bought a 2 man tent.  It works great for solo camping.  When I got married we now find it a little more cramped then I'd like.  But my wife and I can both sleep comfortably in it.  I'm not afraid of cuddling with my wife though :).  However I wouldn't want to share that little tent with anyone but my wife really.  It's a bit cramped, but I can't complain too loudly.

                      Keep in mind tents, like all gear, have a lifespan.  I treat mine pretty rough moto camping and at about 10 years it's time to either retire mine or do some work on it.  But it's been put up HUNDREDS of times everywhere from above the arctic circle to at the Aegean Sea.  No tears, no rips, no broken poles, but a couple seams that are starting to leak in the rain.  As for packing, but a compression stuff sack for your tent.  jam it all in the bag except the poles and stakes (no I don't fold) and cinch it tight.  My 2 man becomes about the size of a football compressed.  To me the pack size outweighs the fact that it's smaller.

                      Fully covered vestibules are worth looking into.  They can be used to stash your gear, chairs, or anything else under if it might sprinkle or downpour overnight.  It's nice to have these with a small tent as they increase your space dramatically but keep pack size small. Also a gear loft is pretty much a requirement.  It's basically a mesh platform/sling at the top of your tent that allows you to stash small items safely (like your eyeglasses and headlamp etc.)  Most tents these days come with some kind of gear loft, some more complex than others.

                      Finally, buy a GOOD tent, not a cheap one from Wal-Mart.  You'll thank me the first thunderstorm you go through.  I'm partial to Kelty tents becasue they are cost-effective for what you get, but don't necessarily have all the bells and whistles, or may not last quite as long as others.

                      With all that said, here's what I chose about 10 years ago - it's been updated a little since then but it's pretty close to the same.  http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26102#

                      Chairs:  Yes I've had experience with the Kermit chairs.  They seem pretty well build, and they seem to pack an OK size.  They are however a really tough chair to get out of after an hour and 2 beers.  You'll pretty much fall forward out of the chair and pick yourself up off the ground.  They make leg extensions that fix this, but it's all at a price.  The cost on the Kermit chairs makes me turn away, I can't justify $165 for a chair and the leg extensions.  My solution is to buy a couple fold-up camp chairs at wall world.  They are dirt cheap (<$10) and last a couple seasons.  When dead you just buy a new one.  I know for some of the longer rallies (nationals etc.) people have been known to just buy them locally and throw them away at the end of the rally, but to me that's a bit too wasteful.  Don't bother trying to cut them down so they pack smaller, it's a loosing battle...  Sometimes If I know there are picnic tables, or the weather is really nice I just skip the chairs and sit at the table, on the ground, or pop a Zega Case / Jesse Bag off one of the bikes and sit on that.  I'm not picky.
                      There's my .02

                    • Matthew Moran
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 25, 2010
                        I agree with Zach on most.  Do NOT buy a *cheap* tent.  I won't be worth it.  We have a 3 man that we use.  It will just fit a queen air mattress in it. If you need more space, then get a 4 man tent.  Mine does not pack down quite as far as Zach's, but it does fit easily on my pannier.  It has vestibules and that is a requirement for me as well as the loft.  It is nice to have your boots outside the tent but still under cover of the vestibule.  (Just shake 'em out in the morning to make sure no spiders have decided to make a home there).  Do not get a single wall tent with no fly, I did for a while and no matter what they say, they get very hot. It is nice to have added ventalation and the freedom of the fly and to remove it if it is not a cold or rainy night.

                        Kermit chairs are great but expensive.  I have one with the leg extenstions and have had no problems with it.  The only other issue is that you have to assemble / disassemble it as it is not a folder.  It take a  few minutes when you make camp and break camp. Mine packs down and fits on my other pannier with my camp shovel and hatchet.  You can get some tri-leg camp stools, but you will regret them as they provide no back support.  You can also get a 12vdc air pump (high volume) for air mattress inflation, time saver if you use an air mattress and you can use an adapter or put on a BMW style plug.

                        I also carry some fire starters when camping.  I can usually start a fire without, but not usually how I want to spend my time when I am hungry, tired, and just want to eat, and enjoy the fire.

                        matt

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 26, 2010
                          I was down at Woodsons today.  They are reconfiguring the whole place.  The old BMW room is going back to being an all BMW room.  They are replacing the carpet, moved the service/parts desk to another area etc.  They don't have any BMWs yet, but once the room is done, hopefully they will.  They are also talking about hiring a BMW Master Tech, so only time will tell.

                          matt

                          On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Francis Pavolko <fpavko@...> wrote:

                          Mike! Mike! Mike!  Boy, have you just rained on my parade!  I just spent the last three months doing research on my next purchase.  Got the list down to the R12R and RT.  Visited Woodson around the last week of June and was disappointed to find that the only BMW dealer within 100 miles of me had only one new unit on display.  It was clear to me based on his floor inventory that BMW was probably not his top priority.  The thought did cross my mind that he may be dropping the line, which in turn caused me to move my purchase date to Spring 2011.  BMW is out of the picture if his dealership is not viable as the next closest is over 100 miles and that is just too big of a price to pay to own a beemer.  Would like you folks to keep me informed as things develop.  As it is now, no purchase until next year.

                          Frank
                          Celina, OH

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 27, 2010
                            It sounds to me like they have some incentive to stay selling BMWs.  Either the owner said that's what he wants, or BMW NA is helping convince them to keep the dealership.  Everything that I heard was that they couldn't wait to get "the damn things off the floor".  I'd like to see them get back into it, but they need to go back in with a different attitude.  Just because I ride a BMW does not make me a cash cow.

                            However, after my experience with them last time (Mike shouting at me and throwing me out of the store when I suggest a 3 week wait for a 20 minute job is not reasonable) I'd have a tough time giving them any of my money.

                          • Tim Vance
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 27, 2010
                              My take is that Woodsons has always approached selling motorcycles more as a 'cash cow' and less as a passion. Add to that the fact that they never really understood BMW motorcycles or the whole BMW ownership mindset and you have the recipe for their current quandary.
                              Out of their original ownership / management team, I didn't see anyone who really struck me as BMW rider....or even a hardcore motorcyclist. I may be being narrow minded and overly critical, but none of the 'money guys' or the owners / managers struck me as the kind of people who had ever traveled any distance by motorcycle. None seemed like the kind of guys who had stood in a hotel parking lot 500 miles from home re-packing their panniers. Every different rider has his own reasons and passions for riding, but I think going somewhere is the common thread among BMW owners. All of us have different reasons for riding and different reasons for owning a BMW, but I think it's fair to say that very few of us buy a BMW motorcycle to cruise McDonalds.
                              I am a big believer in fairness and redemption. Personally, I don't feel Woodsons has ever treated BMW owners fairly, I don't think they ever truly 'got it'........but if they are TRULY going to try to redeem themselves and commit to serving the local BMW community, I will be willing to at least look at it with an open mind. I am still curious though, as to whether them doing so would be motivated by passion or desperation.

                            • fpavko@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 27, 2010
                                For me this is good news. May now have the "R" or "RT" in the garage by this coming Spring. Must admit though if I were to receive anywhere near the treatment Zach did I would be taking the exact position he has. His experience will certainly cause me some apprehension as I move forward with any sort of deal. Looking forward to my next ride into Ft. Wayne.

                                Frank
                                Celina, OH

                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                From: Matthew Moran <mmoran54@...>
                                Sender: SCBeemers@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:30:31 -0400
                                To: <SCBeemers@yahoogroups.com>
                                ReplyTo: SCBeemers@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 27, 2010
                                  Well the only way anyone would sell anything is because they have some incentive to do so.  I just don't have time to do all the wrenching I used to do and don't like the idea of having to go 2-3 hours to get anything done.

                                  matt

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 30, 2010

                                    I would look for a tent that is free standing with a vestibule, rain fly, collapsible poles, taped seams and bathtub floor.

                                    Look for a tent with a brand name and do some research on the net when you find the one you like.  I’ve owned tents made by Eureka, Coleman, Wards, and Sears (Hillary brand).  Except for the changes in designs, improved waterproofing, and stitches, most are comparable in quality and workmanship for the period purchased.  If I was to purchase a replacement tent for my current Coleman it would include a bathtub floor.

                                    Get a plastic drop cloth to put underneath your tent to keep from water and condensation from enter though the floor.

                                    I use larger spike type tent pegs instead of the wire tent pegs/hooks that come with the tent – just hold up better, generally won’t bent, and you can use your foot to drive them in.  You can buy these at any place that carries Coleman camping gear, they come four to a package.

                                    Sportsman’s World, Gander Mountain, Dick’s, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabbalas all carry tents at a good price.

                                    Camping Supplies.

                                    I’ve camped over thirty years in the service, scouts, and family.  One thing I’ve learned is to pack light, even when you have lots of room for stuff you think you need, and chances are you end up not using after all.  My camping supplies were purchased at either Walmart, Sears, garage sale, flea market, or a camping outlet – see above.

                                    Camp stove.  I’ve used a single burner stove, both with liquid and prepacked fuel canisters.  Walmart sells a nice one burner stove that isn’t much larger than a small camp coffee pot (foot print).  Maybe the size of an external drive.

                                    Cook set pots/utensils.  A cook set made for back packing is a great size for bike camping.  Normally includes one cup, pot with cover, plate/pan and nestles inside of each other, comes with it’s own cloth/nylon carrying case.  I’ve bought one from a surplus (Play It Again) store and another from a flea market.  Plus I’ve got another from when my son was a scout (that one, again, bought from Play It Again).  GI Joe’s in Fort Wayne carries flatware that doubles as cooking utensils, just make sure they are either maker US, made of heavy steel, and are US military surplus (the other stuff may be made in China); or the East/West German military flatware – it’s stainless steel.  The German stuff has a built in can/bottle opener incorporated in the storage handle.  The East German cook pot doubles for cooking and eating – cook you soup and eat it right out of the pot, the lid doubles as a plate/pan, some come with an insert that also doubles as a plate, or small bowel.  Bought several for reenacting, two at flea markets for under $10 bucks, normally higher off e-Bay.  A collapsible East German cook stove that used solid fuel is available from GI Joes for about $3 bucks… the cost of the fuel is kind of high if you can find it – or sticks and twigs’ for heating up soup, coffee (I used on in German once, a c-ration can cut up made just as good a cook stove).

                                    Collapsible wash bowel.  I didn’t use one, the shower point was close at hand, but you may want one to freshen up away from the camp site with water.  Otherwise I had a small wash basin that wouldn’t fit inside my side cases, but could in the top case (with stuff packed in side the basin).  In-lue-of a wash bowel, baby wipes, or other wipes, are just as good for a fresh-up, or even clean-up before eating, after changing a tire, or cleaning your visor.

                                    Travel size personal hygiene items.  For a $1 you can buy these items anywhere and throw away the unused portion at the end of the ride… or keep it.  Liquid soap/body wash is great as you don’t have to have both soap and shampoo.  All in one.  I always keep some extra in my gear for work for staying in a hotel that doesn’t have supplies – or take what I didn’t use for another day… cheaper yet.

                                    Light weight/space blanket.  Unless you are camping where it’s really cold, a weight blanket or space blanket works for me.  I used a disposable blanket my wife got from a vendor, or bought someplace, when I went to the Rally.  It worked.  You wet weather gear can double to keep you warm it the blanket isn’t enough.

                                    Sleeping bag.  If you need something better, I would go with the current issue military surplus.  These cost more than you may want to pay, but they are the best.  Three bags in one.  There is the outer shell that’s for summer cool nights, the first inner for spring and fall nights, and when you put the third winter bag with the two previous ones (they all fit inside each other) you are good to -40 below.  All come in a nice compression bag that you can really get nice and tight.  The other option is going to a sporting goods store and buy a sleeping bag for each kind of weather you are planning to camp in overnight.

                                    Wet weather gear.  Gortex, or H2O (Gander Mountain), are my choice.  I’ve used both, have both.  One is more expensive than the other, but both give you the same protection from the elements.  Depending on what you wear underneath, you can use these as a cold weather suit instead of buying and extra driving suit.  My Gortex is military, and you can get it in either military or civilian colors.  The H2O is a fishing suit with bibs… stays nice a dry with water proof pockets for my wallet and cell phone.  About half the price of Gortex.

                                    Flashlights.  Led flashlights are the way to go.  I’ve got a Coleman three cell “AA” that has both led and incandescent bulbs.  The incandescent bulb doesn’t light up anymore due to the batteries being low, but the leds are just a bright as they were three years ago – bought a Meijer’s sporting goods, clearance items.  Auto Zone is carrying led flashlights two for $5, four bulbs, “AA”, and in colors to match you bike as long as it’s blue, red, silver, black.  Nice throw away made of aluminum, push button on/off, looks like a Maglight, just cheaper in price.  Just incase you batteries do go bad, a few chemical light sticks would be a good idea, $2 bucks for one/two packages depending on where you buy… they do have a shelf life, so you could store them in the freezer between camp outs.

                                    First aid kit.  There a several personal first aid kits that include a mask for mouth-to-mouth and rubber gloves for bio-hazards.  Price is under $10 bucks, or free if you are on a foreign line carrier’s engine (just kidding… plus they take up too much space).

                                    Accessory cable/socket.  Make sure you get one of these for you bike to charge you cell phone, tire pump, cpap machine, or mattress pump.  You can buy them from John Deer, cost about the same as from the after market at the BMW dealer.  This the BMW to cigarette socket cable.  I bought a double cigarette socket adapter (like you would use with your gps and radar detector in a car) for $5 bucks at a flea market to, what else, charge two things at once.  All are well worth the cost.

                                    Jumper cable.  Get, or make, a set of jumper cables for your bike.  I believe Zack said that he made a set for his bike at one of the breakfasts.  I bought mine from Terry’s years ago, just haven’t seen it since 1996.

                                    Power inverter.  See accessory cable/socket above as you will need this unless you connect strait to the battery posts.  Nice to have item, and now they are smaller than ever.

                                    Plastic baggies, zip ties, Velcro straps, rip cord, Walmart bags and duct tape.  All have their uses, and in an emergency will fix a problem, mix pudding, and hang stuff from the tree so the forest pets don’t get into it.  The rip cord may be easier to find than you think, check the sporting goods, camping section of Walmart, Meijer’s, any place that carries camping gear in the accessory section.  I use the reusable Walmart (Kroger, Earth Friends) bag for hauling my personal hygiene items (after those Mar(something or other) Insurance bags went missing after I returned home from the Rally), helmet, dirty clothes, clean clothes… whatever you need to haul and hang up when you get to where you are going – like the shower.  Cheap, available everywhere recycling and going green is advertised – at the checkout lane normally.

                                    Case liners.  I bought two American Tourister under the seat carry on bags at TJ Max.  Just the right size to fit the LT side cases, or the top case… $9 each.  If it wasn’t for my CD changer in the right side case I would have bought three.

                                    Alright, I may have got carried away but I was waiting for to mark-off so I could have a few days home before the weekend rolls around, and now I see it’s almost 10am… so it’s time to depart and get some painting done.

                                    Hope you got some use out of this.

                                    Branko

                                  • Branko
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 6, 2010
                                      Last time at Woodson the place hadn't changed much from the previous visit.

                                      No work had begun other than the demo of the old parts desk and jet skis being stored there... The parts desk was now back where the salesmen desks were at and not much else.

                                      The web sight is just as bad, no new information on bikes just the same old link to BMW and "under construction".

                                      Even the link to the tires and parts are a bust.

                                      I drive by there several times a week and there is just nothing going on that you can see different through the windows.

                                      BMW still has Woodson as a dealer on there web sight... along with a few others close by. I didn't memorize the ones posted, but they were the same ones of old.

                                      If I'm in town on Saturday for breakfast I plan on stopping there afterwards. Last few weekends I've spent them in Chicago, I would say that this weekend will be no different.

                                      Take care.

                                      Branko
                                    • fpavko@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 7, 2010
                                        My purchase date is March/April. On Monday I placed my information on the BMW web site. That information was forwarded to Woodson. No response as yet but this is only Thursday morning.

                                        Frank
                                        Celina, OH

                                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 7, 2010
                                          Certainly consider the initial purchase from other dealers as well.  When Mike got yelling at me and threw me out of the store he demonstrated no customer service or customer loyalty.  When I called BMW of SE Michigan on the same issue they handled it quickly.  I had to make the trip up there, but in the end I was very pleased by the way they treated me.

                                          I knew some of the staff at BMWSEM before I ever dropped a dime there becasue they are active in the BMW community.  They come to club events, they host specials for club members, and make a point to be friends rather than just dealership employees.  I remember they gave me a T-shirt just for being at the RA Rally in Houghton with the Detroit BMW club before I ever spent a dime in the store.  I had spent the day off roading with one of the staff memebers and they realized we knew a thing or two about our bikes - in fact we knew MORE about her GS than she did.

                                          When the speed sensor went out on my GS this last time and Woodson said it would be 3 weeks MINIMUM to get it replaced that's not working with me.  The three weeks is becasue they only have service available once a week which is pretty abysmal.  When I suggested that I had already diagnosed it, they didn't even want to listen to me.  At BMWSEM I called them and they treated me like I actually KNEW what I was talking about.  It's easy to tell that I know what I'm talking about since they know the product line extremely well.  They pre-ordered the part after a short conversation and didn't even want me to pay for it as a hold (until the warranty company re-imbursement) because we were both confident of the diagnosis.  When I got there they handled the repair how I had hoped they would and EVERYONE was happy in the end.
                                          Sure Detroit is a much larger customer base but BMWSEM is a GREAT example of how to run a dealership.  It's not suprising they are one of the top sales dealers in the country.  If you haven't visited them, it's worth the trip.

                                        • Francis
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 19, 2010
                                            Submitted a request for dealer contact on BMW Motorad web site three weeks ago yesterday. They listed "Woodsons" as my local dealer and forwarded my request to them. Have not been contacted as yet and at this point don't expect to be. Sent another request but this time specified "Ohio Motorcycle" just west of Columbus. Took them four days and they followed up with email. Now, hopefully, I can sort out what model best suits my needs. R12RT, R12R, F800ST currently in the mix.

                                            Francis Pavolko
                                            Celina, OH