Re: [SCBeemers] Battery Charging Question -BMW

  • Randol Doug
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
      Thanks guys.  It is good to know that the BMW is not that hard to push start.  Used to do that a lot in my youth will smaller displacement motorcycles.  Planning a run to Key West in a couple of weeks (trailer to Florida and then ride from the DeLand area).  I have some concern after sitting in a cold trailer for a couple of days, whether it will start easily.

      Doug

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
        Sounds like fun!  Have a great time.

        matt

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
          I believe ont he pre-can bus bikes it's a 10-15 amp fuse to the socket.

          In a word - no.  You'd pull enough current to pop the fuse in a moment.  I use a 6' pair of 12ga wire as a jumper cable on the bike.  That's the smallest I'm comfortable with as a jumper cable.  I think you'll find there is a lot smaller wire feeding that socket.

          Can bus bikes have a 5 amp limit on the socket, and a normal battery tender won't work when plugged into them... Only the $$$ BMW one.

        • Randol Doug
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
            Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like the push start is the safe bet, if needed.