Re: [SCBeemers] Battery Charging Question -BMW

  • djkhunter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
      Not sure about the jump start either. But I have had my bike push started very easily. It fired up with not more that two guys pushing for 15 to 20 steps.

      David K.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
        Thanks guys.  It is good to know that the BMW is not that hard to push start.  Used to do that a lot in my youth will smaller displacement motorcycles.  Planning a run to Key West in a couple of weeks (trailer to Florida and then ride from the DeLand area).  I have some concern after sitting in a cold trailer for a couple of days, whether it will start easily.

        Doug

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
          Sounds like fun!  Have a great time.

          matt

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
            I believe ont he pre-can bus bikes it's a 10-15 amp fuse to the socket.

            In a word - no.  You'd pull enough current to pop the fuse in a moment.  I use a 6' pair of 12ga wire as a jumper cable on the bike.  That's the smallest I'm comfortable with as a jumper cable.  I think you'll find there is a lot smaller wire feeding that socket.

            Can bus bikes have a 5 amp limit on the socket, and a normal battery tender won't work when plugged into them... Only the $$$ BMW one.

          • Randol Doug
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
              Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like the push start is the safe bet, if needed.