Re: [SCAbasketry] How do you keep handles from getting brittle?

  • Olwen the Odd
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
      >Hi everyone,
      >Does anyone have any advice on how to keep a vine handle on a basket
      >from getting too brittle? I wish I knew what kind of handle it was
      >but I've forgotten -- it *might* be wisteria but I'm really not
      >sure. I'm afraid that it is getting too brittle to be servicable any
      >more but I love the basket and would like to use it at events.
      >
      >-giselle

      As with all baskets, regular washing is a life-giver to baskets. I get so
      many really GREAT baskets at the flea market for almost nothing because they
      are dusty and dirty. I just can't understand why folks are afraid to wash
      them. I use warm water, occasionally with Murphys Oil in it depending on
      the basket material, and a soft finger-nail brush or short bristled 2 inch
      painting brush. Sometimes I have to get out the old toothbrush. I set mine
      to dry in a breezy window. You don't want them to stay really wet for too
      long but you don't want them to dry by heat, which makes them more brittle.

      If you cann't "save" the handle in a useful form, I may suggest adding a
      wire to it. I have had success doing this. Attatch the wire on one side
      and weave it in through the workings of the handle material, cut to size and
      attatch at other end. Depending on the size of the basket and the load
      weight capacity, you may have to double the wire and take care to select the
      proper weight/strength wire.

      Good luck!
      Olwen
    • Patricia A Starnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
        Greetings from lady Patricia, Atlantia

        You might try a good soaking, if it has not been sprayed with varnish or
        anything else.
        ( Wrap Handle in wet towel and then wrap plastic wrap around It. )
        that is the ony thing I can come up with on the sper of the moment,

        The only other suggestion is to take it off and make a new one.

        I will check some of my books and see if I can find something for you

        Some of the other Ladies on the List ,who work with natural materials,
        (not that reed is not natural)
        May be able to help you.
        I am still in the "figureing out what's in my yard ,I can play with
        Stage"

        Hope your Holiday's were nice.

        Lady Patricia Matthis,
        Atlantia
        ps. The Comlpete Anacronist on Basket Weaving #37 is real helpful, out of
        print! but can still be found. And pictures of painting's and wood cuts
        etc.can give good exemples of baskets.
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Olwen the Odd
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
          >Lady Patricia Matthis,
          >Atlantia
          >ps. The Comlpete Anacronist on Basket Weaving #37 is real helpful, out of
          >print! but can still be found. And pictures of painting's and wood cuts
          >etc.can give good exemples of baskets.

          Doesnt' someone have a copy of this? Can you make copies and distriubute?
          I recall someone saying something about this before the holiday, then I
          heard nothing from this list until yesterday.
          Olwen
        • Patricia A Starnes
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            Greetings
            I am sorry I thought I had sent you a copy,when I sent the other patterns
            to you.

            I will make you acopy and send it out.
            If any one else would like a copy please sende-mail me your snail mail
            addres.

            Lady Patricia
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
              just read Mira's answer and I beive she is correct about the copy right.

              Will check my copy at home before I do anything.

              Patricia

              Maybe you could barter with someone who has a copy. A basket for a book!
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
                Patricia

                >Maybe you could barter with someone who has a copy. A basket for a book!
              • Mira (Tanya Guptill)
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2001
                  Olwen the Odd wrote:

                  > >Lady Patricia Matthis,
                  > >Atlantia
                  > >ps. The Comlpete Anacronist on Basket Weaving #37 is real helpful, out of
                  > >print! but can still be found. And pictures of painting's and wood cuts
                  > >etc.can give good exemples of baskets.
                  >
                  > Doesnt' someone have a copy of this? Can you make copies and distriubute?
                  > I recall someone saying something about this before the holiday, then I
                  > heard nothing from this list until yesterday.

                  You may want to check with the Society stock clerk, and put a request on the
                  Rialto and local email groups. I believe the CAs are copyrighted, which means
                  it would be illegal to photocopy it.

                  Mira
                  --
                  http://www.teleport.com/~tguptill/tent.html