general tips for basket making

  • deeksha shetty
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2007
      hi ,
      i am new member of this group.i want to begin with learning some generals tip about basket making.i have not been to any classes for this, so i would love to learn this from people here.
      thank you

    • Elizabeth Ellis
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2007
        Hi!
        The first thing I would say is that when buying reed, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap reed, you'll end up throwing away about half the coil. Of course, you can pay too much as well (and notbody wants to do that!). I'd recommend surfing the different reed vendors to get a good idea of pricing. As far as tools are concerned, I've also found that specialty basketmaking tools aren't required. A flat head screwdriver, an awl, and clothespins work just fine and are stronger than any tools I've bought that were specifically marketed for basketmaking. A bone (used for bookbinding/repair) is good for lifting and packing. You'll also want some good clippers (pruners work great). You'll develop some favorite sources - right now mine's Earth Guild (earthguild.com).

        I'd also recommend taking a simple basketmaking class (one of those "how to make an egg basket in one evening" things). You'll learn the basics from the instructor. After that just get some good books and go from there - that's what I did. I've been weaving baskets since the latter part of the 1980's and the two best books I've ever found are Robin Daugherty's "Splintwoven Baskets" and Flo Hoppe's "Wicker Basketry". Hoppe's second book "Contemporary Wicker Basketry" has just been reissued, but I have not seen a copy yet. Given how good her first book was, my expectations are high for the second.

        Hope this helps!
        Corrinne

        deeksha shetty <dikkishe@...> wrote:
        hi ,
        i am new member of this group.i want to begin with learning some generals tip about basket making.i have not been to any classes for this, so i would love to learn this from people here.
        thank you

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2007
          deeksha shetty wrote:
          > . . .i want to begin with learning some generals tip about basket
          > making.. . .

          BasketMakers
          <http://basketmakers.com/topics/beginners/beginnersmenu.htm> might be a
          good place to start.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <Coblaith@...>
        • Margaret Cochrane
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
            I was just going through old email (stuck in bed with 'flu), and thought it might be useful to re-issue this email someone posted last year.

            > The first thing I would say is that when buying reed, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap reed, you'll end up throwing away about half the coil. Of course, you can pay too much as well (and notbody wants to do that!). I'd recommend surfing the different reed vendors to get a good idea of pricing. As far as tools are concerned, I've also found that specialty basketmaking tools aren't required. A flat head screwdriver, an awl, and clothespins work just fine and are stronger than any tools I've bought that were specifically marketed for basketmaking. A bone (used for bookbinding/repair) is good for lifting and packing. You'll also want some good clippers (pruners work great). You'll develop some favorite sources - right now mine's Earth Guild (earthguild.com).
            >
            > I'd also recommend taking a simple basketmaking class (one of those "how to make an egg basket in one evening" things). You'll learn the basics from the instructor. After that just get some good books and go from there - that's what I did. I've been weaving baskets since the latter part of the 1980's and the two best books I've ever found are Robin Daugherty's "Splintwoven Baskets" and Flo Hoppe's "Wicker Basketry". Hoppe's second book "Contemporary Wicker Basketry" has just been reissued, but I have not seen a copy yet. Given how good her first book was, my expectations are high for the second.
            >
            > Hope this helps!
            > Corrinne
            >

            >deeksha shetty <dikkishe@...> wrote:
            > hi ,
            >i am new member of this group.i want to begin with learning some generals tip about basket making.i have not been to any classes for this, so i would love to learn this from people here.
            >thank you

            -Margaret
            Margaret Cochrane (quarterly sable and gules, two feathers fesswise argent)
            Kappellenberg
            Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia