Another new list member

  • Beth Ellis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2007
      Hello Everyone. I'm Corrinne and I've been making baskets for several
      years (I also do spinning and weaving). I've played with rib, plaited,
      round reed, and twill. I just picked up twill this year, and found it
      to be more challenging to learn than the other methods because of
      tension issues - but I got past that and am really enjoying it now. I
      know how to do coil but don't mess with it because of a lack of
      patience. And I use rattan reed because I'm too lazy to go out and
      collect stuff from the wild <g>.

      I am looking forward to being on this list.

      Corrinne
    • C N Schwartz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2007
        Hi Corrinne!

        You wouldn't happen to have any fave online basketry resources you can share
        would you? I'd love some more insight on oak spint weaving as they
        compliment stick chair seat caning.

        Hello Everyone. I'm Corrinne and I've been making baskets for several
        years (I also do spinning and weaving). I've played with rib, plaited,
        round reed, and twill. I just picked up twill this year, and found it
        to be more challenging to learn than the other methods because of
        tension issues - but I got past that and am really enjoying it now. I
        know how to do coil but don't mess with it because of a lack of
        patience. And I use rattan reed because I'm too lazy to go out and
        collect stuff from the wild <g>.

        I am looking forward to being on this list.

        Corrinne

        --------------
      • C N Schwartz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2007
          Ooops. I forgot i was on the Yahoo groups basketry list. I thought this
          was coming my woodworker's list. And here i was hoping the woodworkers were
          getting more diverse.....

          Still. The more info the more better, I guess.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2007
            Hi!
            My current favorite for reed is Earth Guild (earthguild.com) but I don't recall if they have oak splint (something I really *ought* to start using one of these days....). I'll keep an eye out and report back if I find some good sources you might be interested in.

            I like Earth Guild because the reed is always good, the price is not prohibitively expensive, and the people are nice. When I first started basket weaving I went through a stage of buying the cheapest reed I could find - boy was that a good learning experience <g>. I found that if you buy cheap reed, you end up throwing away half the coil because it's no good (I call that stuff "crap reed" - how descriptive). Not so cheap after all in the long run. With Earth Guild, virtually everything I've gotten to date is good quality.

            I get to demo basketweaving on the weekends where I work (a Spanish Colonial mission site), and right now I'm churning out some small/easy/fast round reed baskets to sell at our gift shop. Fun, and a good way to employ different weaves as decoration.

            Hey, I heard Flo Hoppe's Contemporary Wicker Basketry is back in print - got to get a copy!

            Corrinne