Greetings

  • amariesage
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14 9:40 AM
      Greetings, my name is Amarie and I am new to this group. I am not a
      member of the SCA as of yet but I do have an intrest in all things
      medieval. I live in Belfast Maine and have been to a few SCA events in
      Maine.
    • Marian Walke
      Message 2 of 12 , May 16 2:15 AM
        amariesage wrote:
        > Greetings, my name is Amarie and I am new to this group. I am not a
        > member of the SCA as of yet but I do have an intrest in all things
        > medieval. I live in Belfast Maine and have been to a few SCA events in
        > Maine.

        Welcome! I live in Dorchester, Massachusetts, so as members of
        this list go, we are practically neighbors! There are only a few
        New Englanders here, I think.

        What are your basketry interests?

        --Old Marian
      • cynthia maute
        Message 3 of 12 , May 16 12:09 PM
          Greetings to both of you,
          My name is Emelye in the SCA, but generally everyone calls me the SNOODLADY. I live in the state Wa. I'm looking for some information on the type of baskets that the Native Americans wove out of broad leaved plants like cattails. I am a member of the SCA. and ply my wares at events mostly on the west coast. I play a 14th century Irish merchant in lady's head ware.

          Emelyesnoodlady@...

          Message 4 of 12 , May 16 7:37 PM
            -- In SCAbasketry@yahoogroups.com, Marian Walke <marian@b...> wrote:
            > amariesage wrote:
            > > Greetings, my name is Amarie and I am new to this group. I am not a
            > > member of the SCA as of yet but I do have an intrest in all things
            > > medieval. I live in Belfast Maine and have been to a few SCA events
            in
            > > Maine.
            > >
            > Welcome! I live in Dorchester, Massachusetts, so as members of
            > this list go, we are practically neighbors! There are only a few
            > New Englanders here, I think.
            >
            > What are your basketry interests?
            >
            > --Old Marian

            It's nice to hear from someone tha's realitivly close by. I have always
            loved baskets. I have just recently gotten brave enough to try and make
            my own.
          • Cathryn Peters
            Message 5 of 12 , May 17 5:43 AM
              Hi Emelye,

              You can get a wealth of information about Native American coiled basketry techniques using cattails and the like, from the two basket guilds out there in Washington, which serve the WA and OR area.

              One is the Vi Phillips Northwest Basket Weavers Guild and the other one is the Columbia Basin Basketry Guild, both of which can be found on the Basket Guilds page of my website at http://www.WickerWoman.com/basketguilds.html

              > My name is Emelye in the SCA, but generally everyone calls me the SNOODLADY. I live in the state Wa. I'm looking for some information on the type of baskets that the Native Americans wove out of broad leaved plants like cattails. I am a member of the SCA. and ply my wares at events mostly on the west coast. I play a 14th century Irish merchant in lady's head ware.
              >
              > Emelyesnoodlady@...
              >

              > Marian Walke <marian@...> wrote:
              > amariesage wrote:
              >> Greetings, my name is Amarie and I am new to this group. I am not a
              >> member of the SCA as of yet but I do have an intrest in all things
              >> medieval. I live in Belfast Maine and have been to a few SCA events in
              >> Maine.
              >>
              > Welcome! I live in Dorchester, Massachusetts, so as members of
              > this list go, we are practically neighbors! There are only a few
              > New Englanders here, I think.
              >
              > What are your basketry interests?
              >
              > --Old Marian

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --

            • cynthia maute
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17 7:30 AM
                Cathryn,
                Thank you so much. I've always wondered about them, and found out recently that Ihave Native American ancestors. My interest has always been in finding out the history of the baskets they made and How they did them. I'm a crafter from way back, so will be looking at your web site.
                Thanks so much for this.
                Emelye/Cyndysnoodlady@...

                Cathryn Peters <cpeters@...> wrote:
                Hi Emelye,

                You can get a wealth of information about Native American coiled basketry techniques using cattails and the like, from the two basket guilds out there in Washington, which serve the WA and OR area.

                One is the Vi Phillips Northwest Basket Weavers Guild and the other one is the Columbia Basin Basketry Guild, both of which can be found on the Basket Guilds page of my website at http://www.WickerWoman.com/basketguilds.html

                > My name is Emelye in the SCA, but generally everyone calls me the SNOODLADY. I live in the state Wa. I'm looking for some information on the type of baskets that the Native Americans wove out of broad leaved plants like cattails. I am a member of the SCA. and ply my wares at events mostly on the west coast. I play a 14th century Irish merchant in lady's head ware.
                >
                > Emelyesnoodlady@...
                >

                > Marian Walke <marian@...> wrote:
                > amariesage wrote:
                >> Greetings, my name is Amarie and I am new to this group. I am not a
                >> member of the SCA as of yet but I do have an intrest in all things
                >> medieval. I live in Belfast Maine and have been to a few SCA events in
                >> Maine.
                >>
                > Welcome! I live in Dorchester, Massachusetts, so as members of
                > this list go, we are practically neighbors! There are only a few
                > New Englanders here, I think.
                >
                > What are your basketry interests?
                >
                > --Old Marian

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --

              • Marian Walke
                Message 7 of 12 , May 17 8:14 PM
                  amariesage wrote:

                  > It's nice to hear from someone tha's realitivly close by. I have always
                  > loved baskets. I have just recently gotten brave enough to try and make
                  > my own.

                  Yes, I understand. I was lucky to attend a beginner's basketry
                  class at a schola a year and a half ago, in Carolingia (Boston
                  area). I'd always loved baskets and was pretty sure they were a
                  craft I could practice, if not master.

                  So I have been weaving for a year and a half now. I have been
                  assembling a collection of pictures of medieval and renaissance
                  baskets (Dutch still life paintings are particularly helpful).

                  I started with rattan (that is, reed and cane), but I'm now
                  trying to work with willow, as more authentic.

                  Hope to meet you in person some day!
                  --Old Marian
                • Terrence van Ettinger AKA Angus MacLaren
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2008
                    Greetings everyone,
                    I have just joined, and thought that I might write in and introduce myself. I
                    am known in the society as Angus Maclaren. I hail from Eskalya (ancorage), in
                    the principality of Oertha (alaska.) I am seeking to learn all I can of the
                    arts and sciences of our era, and have taken an interest in basketry as a
                    result of a class I took at Collegium last year. Currently I am working only
                    with coiled baskets, but am hoping to learn other forms as well. I am joining
                    the group in hopes of learning more and expanding my horizons.

                    Slainte,
                    Angus MacLaren

                  • Raeadh`ani
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                      I just joined the group & thought I'd say hello. I was looking through the few pictures that are here & am impressed with the projects I saw there.

                      I'm from the Barony of the Steppes (Dallas) in the Kingdom of Ansteorra (Texas) & my name is Katerinka (provided the heralds dont butcher that too much amid registering ;) ). I've never made a basket but my lord husband lovingly refers to me as the basket wh*re of the household. I've always been interested in learning to make them but was unsure where to begin with it.

                      I'm going to peruse the various resources of this site but in the mean time, does anyone have any favorite starting points they'd like to offer to a beginner?

                      Katerinka
                    • oukvekpwv5
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 9 2:43 PM
                        I've been in the SCA for a little under a year. Basketry has been an interest for a little more than I've been a member of the SCA. Right now I am mainly practiced in Twined basketry and use Jute Twine as the medium with the eventual hope to make my own twine.

                        As I am new to both the craft and the SCA I am trying to learn period ways of the craft and learning if the ways I know are period or not with attempting to find sources and intent to learn proper documentation styles. This past weekend I entered one of my baskets that I modeled in style to the basket depicted in Bosch's 'The Magician' in Calontir's Kingdom A&S competition and was honored with Populace Choice.

                        Also, I rediscovered http://www.florilegium.org/ which had a section on basketry and I copied the sources they sited to search out:

                        Heseltine, Alastair _Baskets and Basketweaving_ Shire Publications

                        Cort, Louise Allison _A Basketmaker in Rural Japan

                        Gabriel, Sue and Goymer, Sally _The Complete Book of Basketry Techniques

                        Hoppe, Flo _Wicker Basketry_

                        _The Medieval Health Handbook_

                        "The Basket Book" by Lyn Siler

                        Mara Cary's "Basic Baskets"

                        Kurver by Jan Henrik Munksgaard published by C. Huitfeldt Forlag (ISBN 82-7003-026-0) Complete

                        Anachronist #77 by Lady Elwyn de Barfleur called Medieval Baskets in Our Modern World.

                        _Rope, Twine and Net Making_ , Shire

                        Albums number 51, published by Shire Publications Ltd., Aylesbury, Bucks, UK.

                        Any insight, discussion, or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to learn more and be part of the discussion!

                        Drust Loc