basketry books

  • Cynthia Maute
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2005
      Would someone please send me a small listing of some wicker basketry
      books that might get me started. Thank you. Also does anyone have
      anything on the history of basketry making using broad leaf reeds such
      as cattails?
    • Marian Walke
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2005
        Cynthia Maute wrote:

        > Would someone please send me a small listing of some wicker basketry
        > books that might get me started. Thank you. Also does anyone have
        > anything on the history of basketry making using broad leaf reeds such
        > as cattails?

        Bonnie Gale's site (English Basketry Willows}:

        http://www.msu.edu/user/shermanh/galeb/wcatbook.htm

        has a number of books on willow work. I've listed some of them
        (with her prices and comments) below. You might find them
        cheaper elsewhere, such as used book sites. She has some info on
        bullrush weaving also. I don't know if that is applicable to
        cattails.

        --Old Marian

        "Willow Work" by Mary Butcher
        1995. 64 pages, softbound.....$24.95

        This revised edition of one of the finest English technique
        books, gives step-by-step instructions for the making of 13
        baskets, each building on previous skills and introducing new
        ones. Full explanation in text and prolific diagrams. Imported
        directly from England--not available elsewhere.

        * "The Complete Book of Basketry Techniques" by Sue Gabriel
        and Sally Goymer, 1999. 176 pages,
        softbound............................$19.95

        This book commences with a discussion of the range of
        materials and basketry forms. There is a chapter on each of the
        following techniques: bases and staking up; weaves; borders;
        handles; lids, fastenings and fittings. This is a basic
        reference book.

        * "Willow Basketry" by Bernard and Regula Verdet-Fierz,
        1993. 355 pages, hardbound................................$21.95

        A very complete textbook on willow basketry by a Swiss
        willow basketmaker, illustrated with woodcut drawings. This book
        discusses growing willows; preparation; tools; techniques and the
        making of round, oval and square baskets. A magnificent book.
        Good value for the money.

        "Willow Basket-Work" by A. G. Knock, 1979. 51 pages,
        softbound...........$20.00

        A classic text on willow basketmaking, covering materials and
        equipment; technical terms; methods of weaving; borders and
        handles; skein, round, oval and rectangular work. A practical
        and very well-written manual for the student with some knowledge
        who wishes to fully explore all aspects and choices. This book
        is out of print and copies are limited.