medieval baskets

  • coslage
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11 6:12 AM
      looking for pictures or patterns for medieval baskets
    • wetzelsa
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12 2:56 AM
        --- In SCAbasketry@yahoogroups.com, "coslage" <coslage@y...> wrote:

        > looking for pictures or patterns for medieval baskets

        Greetings,

        I find basket images in sculpture, illuminations, and woodcuts from
        the various cultures and periods. Brugel incorporates a lot of
        basket images in his paintings and drawings.

        I have found a few photographs of baskets from the SCA's time, but
        they are few and far between.

        Elfwyn
      • athterath
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12 2:12 PM
          "coslage" wrote:
          >looking for pictures or patterns for medieval baskets

          Elfwyn commented:
          >I find basket images in sculpture, illuminations, and woodcuts
          >from the various cultures and periods.

          If you find yourself, as I find myself, with immediate access to
          hard copies of few such images, you might be interested in the Web
          Gallery of Art <http://www.wga.hu>. The earliest represented pieces
          are from the beginning of the 12th century C.E. If you do a text
          search for "basket", you'll see a list of works in which baskets are
          featured. You can elect to view only pieces from a particular 50-
          year period, or all those in the collection. Click the thumbnail of
          an image that interests you to open a larger, zoom-ready image, or
          the "i" icon on the other side of its brief description to read
          commentary about it.

          There are many other online archives where you can see images of
          medieval art. Some are organized chronologically, and you can
          browse a selected period looking for relevant images.
          Alternatively, you can browse the works of a particular artist (like
          Pieter Brueghel the Elder, Pieter Aertsen, or Abraham Bloemaert) you
          know to have included baskets. The Artcyclopedia
          <http://www.artcyclopedia.com/> is an excellent place to start such
          a search. It will list pieces by a given artist that appear on a
          variety of sites.

          Good luck finding what you need.

          Coblaith
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>